Kifaru smith stove pipe diameter

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Mistakenly posted this question in the backpack section so reposting here. What size pipe jack do the Mith stoves use? Want to add a pipe jack to one of my tents. Matt

colonel00

WKR
Well, most jacks that I know of come without holes cut. So, I would wait until I had the stove before I cut the hole. With that said, I would just cut a star pattern similar to how Seek Outside does it in the photo below. That way it can accommodate different diameter jacks. Granted, I just got my Seek Outside Cimarron with a stove jack as pictured so I can't really say for sure if it is any better or worse than the hole I had in my old jack on my SL5. Regardless, I'd wait until you had the stove before cutting the hole.

seek-outside-stove-jack-3-z.jpg

dotman

WKR
Yup what brad said, just put your pipe up to it once you get it and cut your hole.

colonel00

WKR
Your attachment doesn't show up. Was this something you did on your own? I'm sure you could make something on your own but you probably have to buy the material in a quantity larger than you would ever need. If I were going to install my own stove jack, I'd just pony up the money for one already made up. Then you just have to sew it in.

http://store.seekoutside.com/lil-bug-out-stove-jack-installed/

OP
Msowa

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Figured it didnt' show. Got it off the Wall Tent Shop, it's the greyish fire resistive material with a gasket that's sized for the the pipe you use. it make for a good fit. Found the seekoutside product shown above. Looks to be the ticket for unknown pipe size.

Aren't all kifaru stove pipes the same diameter? Thinking 4"

colonel00

WKR
That I don't know. Best bet would be to just give them a call tomorrow. I have only used a DIY stove that I think has a 2 3/8" diameter pipe.

I used a Parmesan cheese container to mark my stove jack fabric. It's a slightly smaller diameter than the pipe, but easier to handle by yourself than the length of pipe. The Sharpee marker then stood off the "template" just a little and it was perfect. I also elongated the cut to the top and bottom by a bit, maybe 1/4", making it slightly ellipsoidal to compensate for the angle of the tent. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.