CA B-Zone Archery

BSeals71

WKR
Hi
I'm trying to plan a archery hunt next year in California B-Zone. One of my dreams is to get a blacktail with a bow. Any recommendations on contacts for private land access? Thanks!

kickemall

WKR
If your looking for guided on private land then contact Diamond C Outfitters. I'd be surprised if anyone has better true Blacktails but it is pricey. diamondcoutfitters.com

I agree with CookeMonster there's more acreage than you could possibly cover of public or open to public timber company land to hunt, even with some of the frustrations I have faced (lots of hunters, backpackers, etc) I don't think I would put in the effort to find private access unless I already knew the owner. Maybe I just like the backcountry too much, but at this point I definitely wouldn't pay somebody or anything to give up the freedom of movement etc. That backcountry public land allows me. Having said that though, I am fully aware I would kill a lot more stuff if I did have private access.

MattB

WKR
A friend of mine runs semi-guided or unguided archery (only) hunts on his property in Mendocino County, and I have done well over the past ~20 years I have hunted up there. http://millerranchoutfitters.com/

Diamond C has great property and a management hunt there might be a good one, but if you want a "trophy" buck to focus on 3 or 4 point bucks you are looking at $5,000 and potentially $10,00 or more for a real trophy (my best buck would have cost $16,000 under their formula). The Shamrock Ranch is another ranch that has reasonably priced management hunts. My friend doesn't discriminate between management and trophy bucks, which I think is a much better way to do it.

While it is true that there is a ton of public land in the B-zones, IMO it would be a discouraging hunt for a non-resident to try with a reasonable expectation for success. Our deer herd is down 50% over the past 25 years, so without inside knowledge you will find that bucks on public land are few and far between.

I've heard some great things about the miller ranch including a huge 4pt that I think Matt killed a few years ago! But there are also some great public land hunts, I killed a 150" blacktail on an OTC hunt in a wilderness area, they're there, but these deer aren't easy.