DeLorme inReach

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but please sell me on this piece of gear!

My wife wants a way to communicate/has given me the green light to get another gadget.

I have always run on the "don't worry about me" policy as I usually don't worry about myself. But I will be the first to agree that it's better to have it and not need it.

What I really want to hear about is ease of using it, ease of using the flex plans, and if I go buy one tomorrow, can I activate it immediately?

I know it's kind of last minute, and one upcoming hunt will demand a sat phone rental or this at the very least....

Thanks in advance.

Dan-o

FNG
I can only address a few of your questions as I haven't field tested/used mine yet, but I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and setting it up was a breeze, and immediate.

My first impressions are that it will do what I need it to do in the backcountry of New Mexico, which is:
1. There if I need it in an emergency situation (SOS)
2. Send and receive texts to/from the wife to check in back at home

It seems user friendly enough, but it's much like the various GPS units on the market in that it has a clunky, dated, low resolution interface. However, synching it to my phone with bluetooth enables me to use the phone for sending messages, which is a major selling point to me.

I also liked the ability for those at home to track my route on a map in 10 minute intervals as I hunt. Neat feature.

After comparing phone rental plans and service options for a two week trip, it seems like the Delorme with one month plus activation of 100 bucks is the way to go, even after purchasing the unit.

I can always keep it for future years, or sell it after the hunt and have 150 bucks out for the two weeks of usage, which I was comfortable with.

bbrown

WKR
Yup - what he said. It's one of those purchases that actually buys you more time in the woods. Well worth the extra cost over the spot to have 2 way communication and know it's working.

They have plans to cover any need - I much prefer the "Freedom" plan on the lowest monthly cost around $15. Basically month to month and I can go over on texts up to 40 per month (50 total) before I would be better off paying for the next plan up. Managing your plans, preset messages and tracking is pretty easy on your computer.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but please sell me on this piece of gear!

My wife wants a way to communicate/has given me the green light to get another gadget.

I have always run on the "don't worry about me" policy as I usually don't worry about myself. But I will be the first to agree that it's better to have it and not need it.

What I really want to hear about is ease of using it, ease of using the flex plans, and if I go buy one tomorrow, can I activate it immediately?

I know it's kind of last minute, and one upcoming hunt will demand a sat phone rental or this at the very least....

Thanks in advance.

I think it's a great piece of gear. I pair mine with my phone if I'm taking it, because it's easier to text, but it's pretty easy alone too. I pay $35 per I think, which gives me 40 messages, unlimited pre-set messages (you can have 3 at a time), and unlimited tracking at 10 minute intervals. You can choose to have a link inbedded in your messages that allows your wife to find you on a topo map too. Lots of other cool features.

Also, I recently posted about their customer service. Short story, I started having trouble with it and sent them an email. They sent me a new one, and a pre-paid return label for the old one no questions asked. Stellar service imo.

I'm a fan of the Inreach and have been using it for a couple of years with no real complaints. That being said my next gear upgrade will be to the Delorme Explorer. It doesn't need to be paired to a smart phone and it looks like you can mark waypoints with it so I'm thinking it can replace your GPS. So gain one device and drop two ( smart phone & GPS ) seems like a win win.

colonel00

WKR
MMM makes a good point. I totally forgot that the original inReach had to pair with the phone. All of my comments and probably those from others are in regards to the SE or Explorer models

VernAK

WKR
I've recently bought the Explorer and used it for two months in remote Yukon Territory and Alaska. Clouds and crap weather have not been a hindrance. Easy to use but the keyboard is slow and cumbersome. The contract can be activated immediately.

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Great info, everyone. Thanks and keep it coming. To specify, I would likely get the SE. How is the resolution/texting on this model. Remember, it will be one message per day, 2 at the very most when I have to tell her to get the grinder and foodsaver warmed up!!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The resolution is good on the SE. The only problem with texting from the unit itself, is that you have to toggle the direction pad since it doesn't have a keyboard built in. It works fine, just a little slow. That's why I use my phone most the time. I usually bring my phone anyway though, for my shooting and gps navigation apps.

I'll speak to it from a different angle, that of the rescuer. Last weekend I had a situation where we had a SPOT activation about 8 miles from the nearest trailhead but in some nastier semi-technical stuff. I was notified of the SPOT activation which yielded us no information other than GPS coordinates and contact info for the family. When we get these we have no idea what is going on or if it is even real. Shortly thereafter we received two PLB notifications in the same area. At least one ended up being an InReach and the party was able text out that there were two injured hikers, one of which was serious.

With this new information I called out our helicopter which began working it's way there through the forest fire clouded skies while the ground crews began assembling for the hike in if the helo couldn't get to them. Once onboard the helicopter crew determined they needed to make a beeline for the nearest trauma hospital. This is a cliff notes version of what happened but it's gotten me to start researching the Inreach for myself. 8 miles back may not sound like a lot but if you are being backboarded out by a team of rescuers it's gonna be 1) a long time before we can get to you on foot and 2) an even longer time to get your butt out.

colonel00

WKR
Great story. Would the helicopter have been sent in to just the Spot activation if you didn't have any further information?

colonel00

WKR
Here are a couple screenshots as examples of how I used my inReach last year. This first one shows one of my preset messages which I modified to not only do a standard check-in but also to remind people to maximize the messages so I didn't keep getting "Hi" or "Yes" messages.

Delorme_zpsdpdvmend.png

Here you can see an example of the map that people could view online to follow along. Each dot is a track point and each box is a message that I sent or received.

inReachAlaska_zps5d7e3a8c.png

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks WW. Good to hear experiences from the receiving end, too. And Brad, thanks for posting the pics.

Will the SE or Explorer link to any Bluetooth device? I have my ballistics calculator on an iPod touch 6 so it's always along anyway and it is Bluetooth capable/compatible.

colonel00

WKR
Thanks WW. Good to hear experiences from the receiving end, too. And Brad, thanks for posting the pics.

Will the SE or Explorer link to any Bluetooth device? I have my ballistics calculator on an iPod touch 6 so it's always along anyway and it is Bluetooth capable/compatible.

As long as you can install the Delorme app (I think it's called Earthmate) then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sometimes they fail to send and/or receive messages. I think it is a great product, but the are not infallible. One even cost me a girlfriend. (long story)