FNG from Western North Dakota

badlands

FNG
Hey guys!
Been on this site for awhile and finally getting around to introducing myself. My name is Danny and Im currently living in Dickinson, ND. Work in the oilfield here and most of my free time is spent in the badlands west of here. Been making yearly hunting trips to Montana lately as well, mainly targeting the Absaroka and Gallatin ranges. Started backpack hunting around 5 years ago and its been a blast! Heres a couple deer Ive killed the last 2 seasons. Happy with both of them. 2013 buck was a sweet stalk that wound up with a 120 yard shot. 2014 buck spotted him after a super cold spell around midday chasing does. Got on the same ridge as him, slowly working my way up the ridge to where I last saw him and his does. The lead doe come over a small rise, and didn't notice me! She was acting pretty nervous and kept walking. About 30 seconds later I saw tines coming thru the timber. I took a couple more steps to get a clear shot and he stopped broadside at 60 yards! At the shot he stumbled and fell within 10 yards. Always wanted a big 3 pt! 15" G-2's and 29 7/8" wide. Couldn't have been happier. My buddy Jeff watched it all go down from a distance thru the spotting scope. Good luck to all of you this fall!
IMG_2249.jpg
2014 MT deer
2013 deer.jpg
2013 MT deer

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum. I work in the oil field in Tioga. Those are some pretty nice deer. I've been hunting Montana as well since moving up here.

lak2004

WKR
Welcome, I'm originally from SW ND, Scranton area. Still have tons of family and farm there. Miss the badlands!

OP
B

badlands

FNG
I have elk hunted the last 2 years. 2013 didn't actually hunt much for elk due to a shorter trip. Last year we got into some bulls in September but couldn't make it happen. In November I spotted 2 nice 6 pt's on public land one morning. Trying to navigate the terrain and around 70 head of cow elk on the way to them. By the time I got to the bench they were on they had crossed back into private land. Pretty cool seeing bulls in knee-deep snow digging for food, throwing snow absolutely everywhere.

lak2004

WKR
I have elk hunted the last 2 years. 2013 didn't actually hunt much for elk due to a shorter trip. Last year we got into some bulls in September but couldn't make it happen. In November I spotted 2 nice 6 pt's on public land one morning. Trying to navigate the terrain and around 70 head of cow elk on the way to them. By the time I got to the bench they were on they had crossed back into private land. Pretty cool seeing bulls in knee-deep snow digging for food, throwing snow absolutely everywhere.
Do much pheasant hunting or crane hunting? I need to get up there this year, I hate being non-resident though.

OP
B

badlands

FNG
Usually hunt pheasants at least 3-4x a year. Last year was good and this year there seems to be twice the birds. Should be a great fall. Deer bow season opens up on Friday. Cannot wait to chase some mulies in the badlands.

lak2004

WKR
Nice! I haven't been up for deer or pheasant season in 5 years. Deer tags are tough to get non-res. I could still pick up a whitetail archery tag for this year, but that's $270 and another $80 for pheasant!