Kuiu Yukon Pants-Odd fit???

jherald

WKR
Anyone order any Kuiu Yukon pants lately? I got a set of pants and they are cut to the right fit in the waist and hips but then taper down like a pair of skinny jeans down the leg from the thigh down. I ordered my normal size I wear in the Kuiu raingear and was quite surprised when I tried them on; they are tight from the thighs down and I'm not a stocky guy either.

Safe to say, they are going back. A call to customer service was not all to helpful either unfortunately, they weren't very helpful as far as understanding these pants are flawed, but they did say the pants are supposed to be sized to fit over layers. You can wear these things over one layer of merino 240 weight bottoms and thats about it, forget about wearing a merino layer, regular pant and puffy underneath. These are supposed to be made larger than normal size to allow for layering. I've got a set of Chugach which I can wear 3 layers underneath, the Yukon jacket I have you can wear 3 layers underneath very easily.

Weekender

WKR
Something screwed up in factory or they
have resigned the cut. My Yukon's are plenty big to layer under

Last edited:
OP
jherald

jherald

WKR
You have enough room to wear a merino bottom, pant and puffy under it?

Weekender

WKR
You have enough room to wear a merino bottom, pant and puffy under it?

Yes I do...but I don't think I would ever run it that way. Merino, puffy, then Yukon minus the pants. If you get warm you can ditch under clothes and just wear Yukon's as pants for the day IMO.

OP
jherald

jherald

WKR
So I did an exchange and got a pair with the exact same fit. They are suitable to be worn as a standalone pant but forget any kind of layering and forget wearing these as a burly tough outerwear layer over your pants. Funny my medium yukon jacket has great fit for layering, plenty big but the pants are the exact opposite, plenty small. Only issue is if you size up to a Large then the waist and hips are way too big and then the legs would fit just right then. What the heck? The pants have legs that taper down narrow. I've got a set of Chugach that have a straight cut leg and, the fit is great with layers.

So let's give it a third pitch and see if we get strike three, yukon out. I'm buying a Sitka pant in the meantime since Moose season will be over before I get the Yukon ordeal squared away.

OP
jherald

jherald

WKR
Yes I do...but I don't think I would ever run it that way. Merino, puffy, then Yukon minus the pants. If you get warm you can ditch under clothes and just wear Yukon's as pants for the day IMO.

Depends on where and how you're hunting. Moose, bear and goat I'd like a breathable outer shell that can take some abuse and be able to layer a few layers underneath.

This last sheep hunt I wore a 150 weight merino bottom, the alpine pant with a atom LT puffy pant under my chugach for lengths of time during several days. Albeit just slightly snug but not enough to compress insulation and lose loft and warmth, nowhere near these yukon pants. It was necessary due to having some 6 inches of snow along with wind, rain, some sleet and sub freezing temps. If tried that with the yukons, well it wouldnt happen without literally cutting off your circulation.

hmmm....

My hunting partner had a pair of KUIU Guide Pants and they were also very narrow through the lower legs. I believe they were mediums and built several years back. He found them annoyingly snug with just Merino bottoms, and he is a very athletic / slim guy. I wear a large (34-36) pant in everything KUIU and have had no such problems. Interestingly enough, a couple days ago I tried on a par of Sitka Fanatic Bibs in my size. These things were cut/sewn far too tight from the knees down...I mean they literally gripped my calves...and I doubt I could use them in cold weather over any significant layers. The perils of pants....

Weekender

WKR
Not sure what to say my Yukon's are from last year. I have plenty of room to layer and when I don't they are loose. Mine are a large and I'm 34w x 34l in almost everything I wear. Who knows they could have changes the cut or bad batch.