Looking for a last minute plan B.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
A group of 4 of us were supposed to be flying out on the 6th from Happy Valley for caribou. Our pilot called today and recommended that we don't come. Nothing like shutting it down at the last minute, but such is life with migratory animals and weather.

Three of us are scheduled to fly up on Friday the 4th from the lower 48, and we would still like to come. The fourth member of our group lives in the Anchorage area. So we have a home base of operation that we can work from. We are not against changing to a different caribou herd hunt or change it to a moose hunt, but have a feeling finding an air transport service with an opening last minute is probably not very likely. Open to suggestions! I have a couple different flight services that operate on the north slope I am going to call first thing in the morning to see if we can salvage our original hunt plan with a different air service first, then start exploring other options.

I will be coming up regardless even if its is just to hang with my buddy and do a little fishing, the other two will probably stay home, understandably.

Thanks!
Colin

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
I did not talk to him personally, but he called my buddy that lives around anchorage who paid the deposit and booked the flights for our group. He told him that it would most likely be nothing more than a glorified camping trip. That the caribou were just not there and he was concerned about getting us in and out with the weather that is forecasted for the time frame of our hunt.

TEmbry

WKR
My friends just returned from a week long hunt out of Happy Valley area (Not with Mike, one of them was a pilot and took his own plane).... They never even laid eyes on a SINGLE caribou even on the flight in. One killed a grizzly at least.

Has been a weird year for bou up there. Some have had great success others have had an extremely tough go of it. Not to mention the weather came early this year. My friend with the plane was supposed to fly home Saturday. He is STILL grounded in Happy Valley with hopes that it clears up enough today to finally buzz out of there and head back to Anchorage (except now there is a no flight ban in Anchorage because Obama is in town).

Another group was flown in with Arrowhead just north of Happy Valley and were supposed to fly out of the field Sat, Sun, or Mon weather and hunting dependent. Still no word from them as they are stuck in the field with no flight out. Hoping they make it back to town in time for commercial flights home.

I know it is a tough pill to swallow right before a hunt, but from what I can tell Mike is just being blunt and honest with guys. Better to cancel last minute than invite you up, take your money, all the while knowing you won't have a good trip. I was skeptical of the first few reports but more and more resident hunters are reporting the same thing Mike's out of state groups are being told.

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Been on the phone all morning and sounds like nothing but people stuck at airstrips waiting and stuck out in the field wanting to go home all around. Glad he had the merit to call and tell us to stay home. Looking into trying to fly over to Kodiak and kill some blacktails possibly.

HUNTMAN

FNG
Just got back to Fairbanks. Weather was shit for 4 of 10 days and caribou where in small groups until the last 2 days. Then it was 100 s in every direction. Good times in an incredible place. Hunt