Does your partner shoot wheels?

AMann

FNG
My best friend and primary hunting partner is strictly a training wheels hunter. I've tried to convert him but he just can't seem to let go of the gun bow. I was the one who introduced him to hunting and would like to continue to hunt with him but feel like my chances of a successful harvest are minimal while hunting with someone with twice the effective range. How do you fellow trad hunters level the playing field with your compound hunting partners?

My buddy and I have similar effective ranges,but our rules rule might work for you. Whoever spots it first gets first dibs. Might be different chasing elk in thick timber though

OP
A

AMann

FNG
My main issue is when we'er on a stalk and get to 40 yards. He can easily make the shot but I need another 10 yards to be confident. It's difficult for me to tell him to pass up the shot opportunity to risk having me move in closer.

LostArra

WKR
My elk hunting partner uses a crossbow. Over the years thru trial and much error we found it's better if we don't hunt together. We cover more ground and have a better chance of finding elk. It allows him to hunt some more open areas with longer shot opportunities that I would never take while I stick closer to the thicker timber. It seems to work. During rifle season we will sometimes hunt together if we have a good idea where the elk are located.

rodney482

WKR
Im saving this thread for the next time I see compound guys bashing crossbow guys.

If I were your hunting buddy I would say "just trying to keep hunting challenging for you" since you love the extra challenge.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im saving this thread for the next time I see compound guys bashing crossbow guys.

If I were your hunting buddy I would say "just trying to keep hunting challenging for you" since you love the extra challenge.

Yep I hunt with both Traditional Recurve and also a Crossbow. So I know both worlds. Live for the close encounters with the traditional but love flinging lightening fast arrows down range with my xbow.

I know this feeling well as most of the guys I go out with only shoot compounds. Im good out to 25-30 yards depending on the situation and shot window. Where they can get arrows out to 40-50 yards. Im ok with that. It is my own personal challenge to get out there and get in close to make the shot count with my recurve. I dont put that on my hunting buddies. If I want to get it done then I have to do my due dilligence and make it happen. Its not a race to figure out whos going to release an arrow first. So I have that conversation with whoever Im with that if Im within 25 yards Id take the shot anything outside that then its all them as they have the better odds and chance of not getting string jumped.

I realize traditional archery is not for everyone. Takes a certain caliber of archer and person type to be successful with stickbow. Having a complete and fundamental understanding of that helps alot. Again its my own personal plight to challenge myself. Would I love to see more folks out there with stick bow? Heck yes but I dont let it dictate my hunting buddies I hang with. They have their own personal agenda's, and reasons and I have mine. Keeping those 2 aside and dealing with that move the hunting situations on to new avenues like how can we utilize each others strengths to maximize our shot opportunities. Thats where I am at with it.

WoodBow

WKR
Id say draw straws for who is up first and then rotate after that. If he cant handle a opportunity not working out for you that he could have hammered, tough crap. 3 of us go together. 2 of us with recurves and one compound. We generally all hunt separately.

I don' t even see this as an issue. Are you saying you both stalk in on the same animal? Good luck with that. Elk setups, simply alternate. Deer, same.

Everyone I hunt with uses a compound. They also want big Bulls and bucks whereas I just want fat does and cows so it works for us.

oldgoat

WKR
Have some of both, compound toting buddy don't really understand what it takes to get a shot off with a stick bow, still really enjoy hunting with him though, he's my buddy! I do better though and get in more shot opportunities with just my wife! She's also more fun to be weathered in, in the tent with!

ozyclint

WKR
i judge others on their character, ethics and attitude not their weapon. i hunt with a recurve but i have friends that hunt with a rifle and/or compound and enjoy their company in the field.
i'd rather hunt with a gentleman with the bazooka that an idiot with a trad bow.

friendship and camaraderie should transcend choice of weapon.

KHNC

WKR
I still cant get past you calling a compound a "gun bow". That's a first for me, and a real shocker to read. I thought you meant a xbow to start with. If I were your buddy, I would keep on hunting with my weapon of choice and just go off on my own.

Terrapin

WKR
When I shot a recurve (back when my right shoulder let me) we never had a problem. If it was my turn to shoot I would pick a setup that would put elk at a range I could shoot. If the elk changed the plan and I couldn't make the shot and he could I fully expected an arrow to be flying over my shoulder. Likewise, if he was shooting we would set up for a forty yard shot (his wheelhouse). Elk usually don't do what I expect and if I got an angle in my range, I'd take the shot. I guess it would be different if we hadn't each shot a good number of elk. Now I shoot a compound, but if either of us are presented with a shot we don't feel good about, we'll defer to the other or both pass. First key is to split meat 50/50. That takes some of the urgency out of the equation.

Only problem we ever had was I was always launching judo points at stumps and grouse because it was fun... I think he was just jealous.