Sitka 90% jacket....really a need?

pew

Lil-Rokslider
I know lots of people use these, but I am having a hard time fully justifying the purchase (I live/hunt in CO). My guess is this is a good "later" archery jacket and early rifle jacket. My experience is that early archery is too hot for any jacket, and I can't see how this is warm enough as a stand alone for anything past early/mid Oct.

Is the main advantage over a hard shell just sound and durability, at the cost of rain protection? Similarly, the main advantage over a puffy (like the FL uncompaghre) sound, (maybe durability) and weight (at the cost of warmth)?

I guess I can see when I would use it for later bow season, but I am having a hard time seeing how I would opt for it over the uncompaghre for a rifle hunt (esp a 3rd or 4th season one). I'm sure I have a huge blind spot somewhere, but it seems like it is more of a 10% jacket than a 90%. I am not knocking it at all (as I realize my estimation of use is based on trying one on for 10 mins at Cabellas), it is more of a situation where I kinda want one, but am not sure if it is really the best use of cash.

Thanks in advance for your help.

boom

WKR
best jacket i own.

sucks mine is too big now..i went and lost weight. not positive my wife will let me buy another. mine is older. i think the older ones have the arm pit zipper vents. mine does.

perfect example of a crazy hunt i do annually. AZ couse deer hunt. january. wild temp fluctuations. teens in the mornings, 80 deg in the afternoons. i head out wearing this from the inside out.

merino chama.
a perforated synthetic summer shirt.
light puffy vest or a fleece vest.
my 90%. as it warms i move layers about..or take them off.

zero issues. i can be as warm or as cool as i can be..or want to be. hiking hard and far, it is nice to have options. one heavier jacket would not work for me.

that is the 90% jackets super power. it is the best layering jacket. (for me)

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm kinda in the same boat, but not because I don't like the niche, but because I use the Jetstream instead of the 90%. I know a lot of guys go layers, puffy and straight to a shell. But I do like the softshell configuration over light layers. My Jetstream covers such a wide range of conditions for me, it's my most used garment. I like the hood, Windstopper and pit zips vs the 90% jacket, which I did try and sold because I barely got used. That said, it's a decent enough piece. I really like Windstopper because my pansy a** gets cold super quick in the wind. WS solves that for me.

Trial153

WKR
This years. 90% was redesigned and is a really nice piece. I think you'd find it slightly more versatile then you think. Over light layers it will take you pretty deep into the season and the windstopper in a soft shell is a great addition if your a bowhunter.

Kotaman

WKR
This years. 90% was redesigned and is a really nice piece. I think you'd find it slightly more versatile then you think. Over light layers it will take you pretty deep into the season and the windstopper in a soft shell is a great addition if your a bowhunter.

I agree, the new version is nice, for me it is an early season, packable alpine jacket. Later on my "go to" is the Jet Stream. I've owned a TON of softshells and the Jet STream is my favorite by far. With that said, the 90% jacket does have a place in the arsenal, that being an early season softshell where I need to go light and packable. It would easily be a great layering piece later, but for me that duty goes to the Jet Stream.

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about its use being primarily for layering, but I so far, haven't found too much of a hole in my current system just using a cerdic hoody between base and rain shell for archery, and an added puffy for rifle. I take it it could replace the cerdic, but I don't know if it would be and equal trade, or what I might gain.

I looked at the jet-stream, but it seemed to be much louder than the 90%...maybe almost as noisy as my hard shell.

For those who have the 2014/2015 90%, how well does it really do with the wind? As good as a lightweight nylon wind shirt (but much more durable)? Same question for rain?

Thanks again for your help and sharing how you use it in your system.

You just aren't starting out early enough...even with a pack that jacket (or even the Jetstream sometimes) is my go to layer for the long hike in. I peel down to merino by sunrise.

Sorry, I've looked at it just recently and I cannot imagine spending 280 bucks on that... It's a waffle fleece. If I'm going to bother carrying a soft shell it needs to have a wind stopper. If I'm hunting from the truck I'll use one but the new 90% is not something I would even call a soft shell.

I was really excited to check it out and planned on picking one up on my way out to eastern Oregon this year. I was really really disappointed in what it was, especially for the price.

You just aren't starting out early enough...even with a pack that jacket (or even the Jetstream sometimes) is my go to layer for the long hike in. I peel down to merino by sunrise.

Your in so cal though. Anything below 50 and your layering up.

I'd sweat my balls off wearing the jetstream and hiking in it above 20-25

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, not sure if that was directed at me too but I'm out plenty before dawn, and unless it is blowing snow/raining, I can't be wearing anything that would be considered a traditional "jacket" with my pack on and hiking up hills and/or off trail. I do get pretty cold pretty quick when I'm not moving though and that is where I was wondering if the 90% might work as a "tweener" layer that I could keep on while moving, but that might retain enough heat for shorter stops.

Yeah, not sure if that was directed at me too but I'm out plenty before dawn, and unless it is blowing snow/raining, I can't be wearing anything that would be considered a traditional "jacket" with my pack on and hiking up hills and/or off trail. I do get pretty cold pretty quick when I'm not moving though and that is where I was wondering if the 90% might work as a "tweener" layer that I could keep on while moving, but that might retain enough heat for shorter stops.

If you get a chance try an look at one in person, I was extremely disappointed when I did. But I was really really glad I didn't drop 300 on it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I'm the opposite.......down to my merino for the hike in, then layer back up when I get to where I'm going. Until sometime after the sun comes up and things start to warm up, and then I'm back down to the merino again unless I'm really hunting slow.

I wouldn't say that the 90% jacket is a necessity, as I don't have one and I've been hunting elk for over 35 years. This year I didn't use a jacket or fleece at all. It was HOT the entire season.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the boat of not really needing one.... Tried to use it for a season but, it was way too cold for how much it weighs. Does not shed wind or water.

For most of my hunting, I'll use one or two merino layers, a light weight button down hiking shirt, then go straight to my puffy and/or rain gear. This has worked for me very well for several years all over Alaska (with slight deviations pending area).

Dan-o

FNG
I have one. Never wear it for elk. I always go with a Sitka vest instead. For deer in Ohio in a tree stand, I wear it in the early season before it starts to warm up and after the sun goes down.

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for the feedback. At first I was interested, then after looking at in person got kinda sticker shock and hence this thread. However, after reading, thinking, etc, I ended up picking one up. The temps finally got under 80* yesterday so I have been wearing it literally all day trying to see if I am hot or cold, how it does with a slight breeze, sitting, walking, light jog, etc, etc etc...truth be told I even kept it on when I gave my kids a bath in the hot/humid air to see at what point I would be uncomfortable. Not exactly "mountain hunting," but it is as much as I can do up to this point. So far, I am pleasantly surprised. Never had to take it off or even unzip, and never found myself wanting more insulation. Granted, I think it was a low of 56 so I most certainly will do more testing, but I thought I would write back for now.

Due to what you all have said in regards to the jet stream I looked at that once again (and the JS light), but I went with the 90% as I think for me, I wanted more breathability....we'll see how it works out as I have a WY antelope hunt in two weeks (wind) and a CO elk hunt next month.

thanks again

If you kept it on in that weather, your going to freeze your dick off in any real type of weather. Hope you like it though. Seemed like a good piece, just to rich for my blood.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
we'll see how it works out as I have a WY antelope hunt in two weeks (wind) and a CO elk hunt next month.

I've done quite a few late season elk hunts in CO over the last 35+ years. That late I'm usually in full parka type of coats with heavy wool pants, sometimes balaclava, and I've even been known to wear ski goggles for blizzards and or to keep my contacts from freezing to my eyes from the sub-zero winds.

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry should have clarified. I've hunted 3rd/4th rifle in Colorado several times before outside of Minturn and have been pretty cold a couple of times. I wasn't planning on just wearing the 90% but was going to bring it just to see how it works for me as a layering piece, see how low it can feasibly go, as well as bring a warmer jacket to throw over it/replace it as needed. Thanks for the concern though.