Results 1 to 10 of 10
drawing a general archery tag for elk in wyoming......
I'm slightly confused by the wyoming hunting regulations, but I believe the area I want to buy an elk tag for is considered a general tag.....but as i understand it, i still have to draw for it. Is there anywhere that shows draw odds for a general tag? I already bought my point this year, but only have that one point and was just trying to see what my chances are for next year.
i've checked the draw odds thing over at monster muleys, and the units im interested arent listed, so i am assuming the ones that are listed are the limited entry ones, not exactly sure on that either.....i have til january to get my research done and put in for the right tag.
I'm pretty sure its almost a 100% draw for the general tag if you have a point. I think you can even draw without a point but I'm not sure.
ive been looking around and i think i did read somewhere 1 point is 100% draw but im not sure either! i think the wyoming regulations, well, their entire site could be much more user friendly
One point will draw first choice for the regular tag. You can draw it as a second choice with no points on the special draw too if you're wanting to start banking points.
i have looked at those once before, but still dont see the units im looking to hunt on the draw report, or does it not list "general units" on those reports?
not really sure what the difference is between their "random draw" and a "preference point draw"
edit: i did just notice at the bottom of the pdf, gen tag quota is 588, with 2650 first choice applicants, so im assuming my odds lie within that with my one point
Last edited by sk1; 09-23-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Your assumption is incorrect.
There are multiple draw reports for WY and you need to look at all of them, 4 reports for NR Elk.
regular random draw
regular pref point
special pref point
For your question, with one point in the regular pp draw, 1128 applied for 1106 tags. 98% roughly.
Special draw you will get the GEN tag as a 2nd choice, gaining a point for the year. The quantity of remaining tags after the 1st choice is shrinking yearly and the "sure thing" will likely be gone in a cpl years. About the time they raise prices.
Eastmans MRS does a good job explaining the Wyoming draw system and wapitibob is correct that you'll have to look at both random and pp odds.
wow ok, interesting system.....I'm not sure i fully understand it, but I have a much better handle on it now than i did 3 hours ago. Thanks for the info guys it definitely helps. I was just trying to figure out my odds for drawing there next year as if it didn't look good I would need to pick out a different state for my first nonresident elk hunt....so it sounds like i should be looking pretty good for the most part
and i might have to look into that Eastmans MRS you speak of, as i plan on starting to do more nonresident hunts
I can try to explain but might be incomplete and inaccurate. In Wyoming 85% of tags go to the applicants with the most pp and the remaining 15% go to a random draw where everyone has the same odds. Within the PP draw and random draw pools a percentage(70%?) is earmarked for the applicants who pay the big bucks for the special license.
Based on your 1PP and the 2012 draw stats which shouldn't change much in 2013 since elk are over objective in most areas you have two options.
1) Put in for general as your first choice in the regular draw and have a 98% chance of drawing.
2) Put in for general as your second choice in the special draw and guarantee at least a general tag while being able to either have two PP in 2014 or the remote possibility of drawing a long shot on your first choice.
download the points reports and look them over. You also need to know that WY does not round points so you will see less than "<" for a given point total. Also..... .75 is a heck of a lot better than .5 when you really want to draw a tag and have to apply with a cpl friends.
The only way to learn the system is to ask questions, go look, then ask a few more.