Lewistown, MT

charvey9

WKR
My brother and I are doing a rooster road trip from Oregon to Eureka, SD next month. However, I put him back on a plane to Wisconsin from Bismark, ND on 10/25 and I don't need to be back home until 10/29.

I've never hunted sharpies or sage grouse, and was thinking of making a pit stop in Lewistown, MT for a few days on my trip home. I know there is a ton of public land around there. Anyone ever hunted there and have any input to share on where to stay or hunt?

mtmiller

WKR
Lots of Block Management near Winifred where you can find sharpies.

Sage-grouse season will close September 30.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
Lots of Block Management near Winifred where you can find sharpies.

Sage-grouse season will close September 30.

Thanks. Plan on calling FWP next week for some info on access. That sure is a short season for Sage grouse.

2ski

WKR
I know there's tons of birds around Lewistown so you should have some success. I've seen a lot of birds on a place I've hunted for deer. Bummer that the guy is paid by his neighbor to not let anyone hunt birds. The Huterites outside of Rygate used to let people hunt, but don't expect the friendliest welcome. The Huterites around Martinsdale are super friendly, which is why I was suprised at the welcome I got from Rygate. Neither is Lewistown area, but within about an hour and a half.

Riplip

WKR
Forks is right. Plenty of sharpies on public land outside Lewistown.

Hunted Lewistown several years in a row, most of the good land around there is private and either leased by outfitter or groups from Billings. There are some pay to hunt areas near there. I have a list somewhere of landowner contacts which I happy to send to you, not sure how up to date it is and most want some kind of $$ to hunt. Most days we would get into Pheasants, Sharpies and HUNS which was a blast.

Forks is right. Plenty of sharpies on public land outside Lewistown.

Hunted Lewistown several years in a row, most of the good land around there is private and either leased by outfitter or groups from Billings. There are some pay to hunt areas near there. I have a list somewhere of landowner contacts which I happy to send to you, not sure how up to date it is and most want some kind of $$ to hunt. Most days we would get into Pheasants, Sharpies and HUNS which was a blast.

I'd be interested in that list if you're offering. How many coveys a day of huns you think, on average?