2015 Ram

Bambistew

WKR
This trip was originally planned for September, but schedules got tight between my work and hunting partner, Larry's, so we bumped up our sheep hunt to the first week, just a week before the season opened... We got in 2 days prior to the opener. This was a first for us, as we are lucky to make it in by opening day, let alone have an entire day to "scout"...

My nephew, Jack, graduated from HS this spring, and as a gift I bought him a ticket to come up with the expectation of tagging along on a caribou/sheep/moose/bear hunt with a side of fishing, as luck would have it, the plan changed and it turned into a full on sheep hunt. He wasn't disappointed.

I was far from prepared to go on a sheep hunt on such short notice, and I had to pack for both myself and Jack. A week later, about 10 trips to various stores for provisions and gear, I had two packs loaded and ready. I took my Kifaru Bikini and High Camp 7000, and Jack had my MR 6500... The "head to head" comparison of packs was quite an eye opener as I've never run them head to head on a long trip. The MR, was hands down more comfortable with weight, the ride was better. I'm seriously considering the return.

The day prior to the opener was the start of some miserable weather. Sheep were far and few between, and rams were even scarcer. The rain rolled in and persisted for the next 3 days with intermittent snow showers. I've been pretty lucky the last 4-5 years with weather on a sheep hunt, usually the rain is short lived and we have time to dry out. Not this time, we had soggy feet for about 5 days. one of my fancy new boots leaked, the other did not... but after day 3 even the "dry" boot was thoroughly soaked.

Gbn-GGrI2dX_ePzgP9cFc4KhlOpeSpNzT2xwTNGZDuZH=w1174-h880-no

We put on about 8-9 miles the day before the opener, with nothing to really show for it other than a medium sized bou. Our plan was to head into an adjacent drainage and see what we could turn up.

Y6q5dH5iEQvtvzJ1IyAMi-asBSPDiUnXFKRg9mxXarPc=w1174-h880-no

The morning was soggy, with intermittent showers and fog... not great for sheep hunting, but better than not hunting. So off we went. We chugged about 3 miles up the drainage with nothing spotted, but fog and rain. We camped out along the creek near the head of a valley for about 4 hours hoping the fog would lift or a sheep would try to commit suicide. As the rain increased in both volume and horizontal velocity, we decided to call it and started the march back to camp. As we rounded the last ridge on above camp, I spotted a white back below a rock slide about 250 yards above us. We quietly slipped out the spotter and dialed it in on the ram... a small 6yo 3/4 curl... then another ram, and another and another.

Between the driving rain and fog, we were able to make out one of the rams to be broomed on one side, and he appeared a bit heaver than the rest, but he only showed us one side of his head as they fed around the hill, offering only a glimpse of the offside. Seconds, turned to minutes, as we waited for the ram to give us a good look at his other side. I was sure he was age legal, but wanted to make him to be full-curl as well. Larry caught a glimpse of his far horn, and determined that he was broomed on both. A quick look through the spotter to verify, and the rifle was loaded...

The shot was fairly steep up hill, and with no real rest available, so I made a tripod out of 3 trekker poles. Lined up the shot which was a touch over 300 yards and took it. At the report, I asked Larry for a report, he said he didn't see a reaction, or see where I hit. Befuddled, I quickly loaded another round. Just as I was trying to sort the ram out of the group, Larry mentioned that I had hit him, and he was going down. The shot was perfect, entered under the armpit, and exited the front of the shoulder/neck. That 308, is a heck of a sheep killer, thats number 4.

The ram ended up being 9 yo, and broken on both sides. I like the "ugly" ones, as the local guide calls them.

jm9P2n7tkMPvPt2uU9z94S7Xn4jnEoI3-u91OFVfSGWN=w1251-h834-no

CeGy_Ot_IwNlLr2wkd55lPXNwdrENfDq0YcE35uXSXC7=w1251-h853-no

We took him apart and headed back to camp, both happy, and soaked. By far the shortest sheep pack of my career, well almost... we had to pack him another 7 miles back to the strip.

GNhKdSsMGtnrmJ7kAOre1GDUMX5m6nTL7r5k14SLdI9P=w1174-h880-no

The next week was spent exploring and searching for another ram for Larry. We covered a lot of country, and vertical miles, and had one opportunity but didn't connect with a ram we dubbed 38 Special... we have a date with him again next August. Hope he makes it through the fall/winter.

tbzm_n7CO0UUH-aQjLfcmhqgPI_SJtfF3wgEK7luxc89=w1174-h880-no

1uER28X_0UEPVSTnmQ3qydBVzjTsYOKplYrYS8jnMbee=w1251-h774-no

All in all a great trip once again, and am always grateful that I get to spend time in the mountains with friends and family.

GR-Y5c5Q8tiDsXtJ5MY3N0wlScnw-z21uR9PhA6g0O_L=w1251-h678-no

bcimport

WKR
Great read and congrats. I have returned to my NICE frame MR pack too. After thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence I came to the same conclusion that the MR with a 6500 or the lift kit is just really comfortable.

OP
Bambistew

Bambistew

WKR
What's them sheep usually weigh. Congrats

They average about 60+/- 5 lbs of boned out meat along with 22-23lbs for the skull and cape. Some are a bit bigger, but my experience of 9 rams have been in this range. Not sure about on the "hoof" maybe 170-180lbs? They've got fat kid syndrome... chunky with skinny legs.

They average about 60+/- 5 lbs of boned out meat along with 22-23lbs for the skull and cape. Some are a bit bigger, but my experience of 9 rams have been in this range. Not sure about on the "hoof" maybe 170-180lbs? They've got fat kid syndrome... chunky with skinny legs.

Ok cool. Thanks for the reply

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I packed an entire ram up out of a drainage and back to camp (sans the cape) in my KUIU Icon 7200 in 2013 (before I went Stone Glacier). Had a few folks tell me no way. It was not light, but only about a mile. I need to point them to your info above. I'm no superhuman, but 80lbs is doable for a short trip even in an ICON. : )

And congrats on the ram, and I enjoyed the writeup.

I run a MR Crew Cab as well as a Kifaru EMR II. I like both packs for different reasons. I'm curious what you thought was different about the MR vs the Kifaru

OP
Bambistew

Bambistew

WKR
I run a MR Crew Cab as well as a Kifaru EMR II. I like both packs for different reasons. I'm curious what you thought was different about the MR vs the Kifaru

I have a MR 6500 and a Crew Cab. I do not care for the Crew Cab when it comes to packing heavy loads, great for a day pack though. I can't get the weight to ride correctly, and heavy loads kill my hips.

I much prefer the shoulder straps and yoke of the NICE frame to the Bikini straps, and its a tossup on on the belts. With 80-100lbs the MR is far more comfortable for me. I've adjusted and adjusted some more on the Bikini, but its usually not that comfortable no mater what I do. It still rides ok, but I'd almost pack another 4lbs and have the comfort when it comes to heavy loads. On a sheep hunt its usually one heavy load and a lot of medium loads day after day. The 4-5lbs of weight savings over the MR makes me go with the lighter Bikini. The frame is solid on the Bikini, packing moose antlers is a test for any frame, ridged or soft, and the Bikini frame handles as many as I can get on it. The J-hooks are awesome and very modular.

Half a dozen one, 6 the other. Glad to have choices. :)

deadwolf

WKR
Nice write up, and the broomers look the best to me too : )
I'm guessing if you were using a duplex frame, the packing experience would've been a lot better than with the bikini frame. I'm looking forward to using my new Kifaru Tactical frame this season, for me Kifaru frames/suspension has no equal.