Gas refill adaptor

reaper

WKR
Hi folks

Found this when searching to how to refill my camping gas canister for my jetboil flash stove.
Its a Taïwan aluminium adaptor.
Wanna share with you to save some money,for now its working great even if its not a mix of isobutane and propane
Use your kitchen weighing scale to help you.
24a0578ac54dd3954302a8d0d1eef393.jpg

5d6b865e14ac9f334bc574d54dc391de.jpg

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
Could that adapter be used to combine canisters? I have a whole drawer full of partial canisters because I always take a full one on a trip. If there is a way to combine them that would be awsome.

Could that adapter be used to combine canisters? I have a whole drawer full of partial canisters because I always take a full one on a trip. If there is a way to combine them that would be awsome.

No, since the gas will flow from high pressure to low pressure. The best you could do is top off the canisters you already have.

Stid2677

WKR

If you search on here, there was a thread in which a member did what you are speaking of. He bought a cheap stove and made an adapter, it required placing one of the cans in the freezer. I can't remember all the details.

bcimport

WKR
You could consolidate cans too. Put the one you want to fill in the freezer and drop the pressure, put the on you want to empty in a hot water bath prior to connecting them. It can't be stressed enough that if you are refilling these you have to watch the weight. If the cylinder becomes liquid full at any point an explosion is a very real possibility.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Of course you have to be careful with this,i just love my little canister since it fit into my jetboil and sick to always buy canister...is that THE solution?,maybe not,always be careful.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
If you search on here, there was a thread in which a member did what you are speaking of. He bought a cheap stove and made an adapter, it required placing one of the cans in the freezer. I can't remember all the details.
Ha!i know someone started a thread on this,next time ill dig more,sorry guys.

Yeah that was me, but I can't find any of my posts from before 2013.

But I'll recreate it again here....

Basically this is the same procedure as re-filling 1lb propane canisters.
All I did was purchase a couple cheap Stansport stoves and combine the parts to create a canister to canister valve system.
I put the "canister to be filled" into the freezer for 30min and keep the "canister I'm filling from" warm at room temp. A pressure differential between canisters means liquid will flow downhill from higher pressure to lower pressure canister below.
Again put canister to be filled (bottom canister) in freezer for 30min. Shake warm canister just prior to filling procedure to ensure the mixed fuel isn't separated during filling.

This is a controversial procedure.
Do not over fill... weigh both full & empty canisters and educate yourself on what "Full" means in oz's.
I've refilled the same 2 jetboil canisters several times now. But I probably retire them for fresh one, because one of these days I'm going to find the seals have failed. And nothing would suck more than having a canister leak out all it's fuel during a trip into the back country.
Just use some common sense when refilling.
Hope this helps,
Hunt'nFish

Reaper, Cool! Care to share a hint on where to look for said adapter?
Looks like a cheap fuel for summer use.

Just remember that the Jetboil Butane/Propane mix is designed specifically to work over a broad range of temps and altitudes, where the straight butane isn't. And as long as folks doing this understand the limitations of straight butane, all is good.
Hunt'nFish

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Reaper, Cool! Care to share a hint on where to look for said adapter?
Looks like a cheap fuel for summer use.

Just remember that the Jetboil Butane/Propane mix is designed specifically to work over a broad range of temps and altitudes, where the straight butane isn't. And as long as folks doing this understand the limitations of straight butane, all is good.
Hunt'nFish
Exactly,like i said its not THE solution,for me its perfect for my 2 days trips with my little canister who fit into my jetboil and i am not in any crazy elevation area.Use at your own risk,always be careful.

The part i bought it from CIT ADVENTURE STORE.