Can I make a Matthews FX work?

Ruskin

WKR
I have a borrowed Matthews FX bow that I was trying to set up for Elk. I took it to a bow shop and got it restrung and new arrows. I'm shooting Easton FMJ 400 w/ 125gr fixed broadhead. I have the poundage at 60lbs. Bow is a little noisy, but I've been happy with accuracy. I recently shot it through a chrono and got a reading much lower than I thought....193. :(

I've read that 280 is a minimum and all the new IBO seem to be 300+. Do i just need to buy a new bow or should i be getting a lot more out of the Matthews FX?

I'm just a couple years into archery, so it's safe to assume i know nothing.

chrono.jpg
elk.jpg

Last edited:

bwlacy

WKR
That seems really slow for that bow and the setup you have. I would have guessed around 240 fps. What is your draw length? Did they put the correct string and cable on the bow? Maybe something is wrong with the chrono at the shop.

MattB

WKR
Check the specs, it sounds like they may be off based on the speed and noise.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely get the specs checked out though, that is pretty slow.

The FX specs are 308 IBO. I think something is wrong with your setup. I used to shoot a Mathews Q2, with was about the same IBO. I seem to recall getting 250-260 fps with Gold Tip 7595s with about 64 pounds of draw weight, 29" draw. Your FMJ 400s aren't that much heavier.