Georgia Bear Hunting

Ruskin

WKR
Not much experience, but I've seen a few. Saw one this past weekend around amicoloa falls (no surprise, as they are plentiful). A bulletin posting said they killed a 700lbs bear recently.

Plagioclase

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted there but live ~ 1 hr from and have always wanted to. I've done some Google-fu and Google Earth scouting but haven't set foot on the ground - yet.

Live in se ga near the oke refuge which am guessing now has bear season or special shoots? Wonder if the numbers are somewhat similar or does the north have more than the south?

The south is loaded around the swamp. Very big bears too. They killed multiple state records a few years back in consecutive weekends. I am very positive the record is from that area. There are more bears per square mile in Florida then anywhere in places and I still think they do not have a season.

Gobbler36

WKR
The south is loaded around the swamp. Very big bears too. They killed multiple state records a few years back in consecutive weekends. I am very positive the record is from that area. There are more bears per square mile in Florida then anywhere in places and I still think they do not have a season.

I am from NW Georgia and recently moved to Florida, and we now have a week long special opportunity season with a quota limit for each bear unit, as long as the anti nutcases and the pos poachers who cant follow laws in this state do not ruin it will be a productive season. As far as North Ga goes I tried early season in a few places and saw little sign and no bears but I hunted a small area and from what I have heard its about covering ground finding fresh sign and sitting till he comes back but its tough area to hunt very steep and thick finding sign is key but you do get to hunt deer at the same time so it does give you options.

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
Im from ellijay ga. Live in colo now but go back to deerhunt each fall.. lots of bears in gilmer county and surrounding counties. For public land try cohutta, rich mt. Or blueridge wma... look for whiteoak acorns and there will usually be bear sign close. View attachment 31468 had this 350lb come under my treestand and eat whiteoaks for an hr. Around me just 2 weeks ago! Good luck

Gobbler36

WKR
H
Im from ellijay ga. Live in colo now but go back to deerhunt each fall.. lots of bears in gilmer county and surrounding counties. For public land try cohutta, rich mt. Or blueridge wma... look for whiteoak acorns and there will usually be bear sign close. View attachment 31468 had this 350lb come under my treestand and eat whiteoaks for an hr. Around me just 2 weeks ago! Good luck
Very good insight here from another fellow Georgian, I am also looking to move out west. Where did you move too in Colorado?

Hey man,

I live in Decatur. My buddy and I go every season. Tons of bears and pigs in the mountains. We do a week long pack in "Bear Extravaganza" every year where we hike in 5 miles or so. There are plenty of areas to hunt. Start looking at google maps and find ridges over 3000'. Find the ones with white oaks and there will be bears. We still hunt (archery) and almost every time we go out we see bears. The woods are thick, so you often hear the bears before you see them. Its tough hunting. Most shots are twenty yards or less. As a bonus, you will often run into pigs. The meat is awesome, and the Forest service guys want them all killed. They are really messing up the woods. You will see sign all over. Good Luck!

Pm me if you have any questions.