Sleeping bag situation

crazywednesday

Lil-Rokslider
Currently I own what I once considered two good sleeping bags. They are both cabelas xpg. One of them in 20* the other is like -20* 800 down fill. Both bags are wide/long rectangle. The dont sell them anymore. I dont do mummy very well. I am wondering about how much room there is in the wide long slick bag. It almost looks rectangle except for the head area. I am on the fence about the quilts. I just have my doubts about not having it wrap under me. It seems like there are lots of people who dont like the quilts. Anyone else not like mummy but have a light weight solution? Is there something else I should be looking at? At home I am a warm sleeper, but I had a miserable experience in the woods one night with a bag that didnt keep me warm so I bought the xpg's. I havent been cold since, but they are usually too warm and Im sure they are probably too heavy.

Justin

weaver

WKR
I wouldn't rule out a quilt. With the straps attached to the sleeping pad I haven't had any issues with it staying tucked beneath me.

PredatorX

WKR
Most of the time you can tuck underneath your pad or on top of your pad. Just depends on how you decide to position the straps/buckles.

I am a big guy (6'5" 240) with wide shoulders and was told by Dmitry@1shot that the wide may be too wide for me that I would be fine with the regular. That being said, I have yet to try it myself. The wide is significantly wider and therefore adds a descent amount of weight (0.5-0.6 lbs). However that weight increase might be worth 10" in the chest and 8" in the hips and foot.

Shrek

WKR
I'm 6'4" and 255lbs and love my long wide western mountaineering Kodiak. I tried a quilt for a couple hours and froze ! Drafty and my hand fell out and got cold which with a circulation problem I have in that hand I could have lost two fingers. I toss and turn at night and the quilt didn't work at all. WM bag ratings are conservative and will keep you warm to their rated temp. I have no experience with the slick bag but Kifaru makes the best packs and the highest quality gear.

xziang

WKR
I wish I could find it online but I wasn't able to. I purchase a slightly used Western Mountaineering alpine light and it had a 'zip in' extension that allows some extra 'girth/circumfrance' to the bag. It adds some weight to the bag but this still weight less than my previous bag. I've had it in 32-34 degree temps in a tent and was very happy with it.

Their equipment is pretty $$ though.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I too am looking for a new 10-25 degree sleeping bag. I dont mind the mummy style bag. I am hoping to spend under $200 and I want a bag to compress as much as possible.

I am currently considering the Big Agnes Spike Lake 14 at 2 lbs9oz for $150 or the Kelty Tuck 22 which is 3lbs and $90. Im also considering the Sierra Design Zissou 24 at 2lbs and $176 but its only considered a 2 season bag for some reason. Kelty Ignite?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
Well I ended up picking up a 20* EE quilt today from the classifieds.....can't beat the weight and price was right.

Well I ended up picking up a 20* EE quilt today from the classifieds.....can't beat the weight and price was right.

You'll have to let us know how you like it. I am still up in the air on trying a quilt. I am a cold sleeper, so I may go with the 0*. Also, would be interested if you think the wide is wide enough as I am thinking that I may prefer the x-wide since I use a 25" pad, have broad shoulders and am a side sleeper.

I've owned my quilt for about a year now and won't go back to a bag. I've slept in it in temps from 40* down to 10* and never been cold. I use an Xtherm pad and a TiGoat bivy. I was skeptical at first, but they are the best option IMO if you want a warmth to weight ratio.

for the last couple years, i have been running a WM versalite. 32oz 10*. always chasing the gram weenie, i bought a quilt last jan. with the intentions of proving it at home in cold weather. that weather never came. we had a crazy hot summer and the quilt got a lot of use. i really got to like this thing, its packed size, venting in warm weather, the fact that without a slippery sleeping bag bottom, you dont go sliding off the pad! all that remained was to make sure it actually kept me warm. ive spent too many shivering nights to go down that road again to cut a few ounces. well, labor day weekend, weather rolled in fast and we woke up to 2.5in snow and 34* in the tent, i didnt even know, i was so cozy. that gave me the confidence boost to give it the nod, for our big elk hunt in CO. the first night in the tent was 32*, 30 the 2nd and 37 the 3rd. perfectly warm. if i can run this quilt comfortably down to 25 and survive at 20, ill be 150% a believer.

31766ca4ebc63649217cac6db23e9be2.jpg

Get a long/wide EE quilt, a great pad and you'll never look back.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big guy (6'5" 240) with wide shoulders and was told by Dmitry@1shot that the wide may be too wide for me that I would be fine with the regular. That being said, I have yet to try it myself. The wide is significantly wider and therefore adds a descent amount of weight (0.5-0.6 lbs). However that weight increase might be worth 10" in the chest and 8" in the hips and foot.

I'm 6'4" and 245lbs and ordered a long wide 0F EE Revelation. Sent it back and upgraded to X-wide. If I was a back sleeper the wide would have been enough, but for side sleeping the X-wide was much better for me.

7mag.

WKR
I think it's nearly impossible to beat the weight to warmth ratio a quilt provides. I've been using one for 2 years, and I don't see myself using a bag again. My hunting partner was very skeptical, until he tried it. Now he is sold on quilts too.

OP
C

crazywednesday

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'4" and 245lbs and ordered a long wide 0F EE Revelation. Sent it back and upgraded to X-wide. If I was a back sleeper the wide would have been enough, but for side sleeping the X-wide was much better for me.

Thanks, we are about the same size. I have wide shoulders and will probably need the xwide like you if I go the quilt route.

Justin

OP
C

crazywednesday

Lil-Rokslider
Is everyone that is using a quilt sleeping directly on their pad? Are any of you using a quilt us a floorless other than justinspicher?

Justin

I use a silk liner with my quilt. It reduces my grunge and skin oils being absorbed by the quilt, adds a few degrees of warmth and is more comfortable than sleeping directly on my pad which has silicone blobs on it.

I have not yet used my quilt with a bivy in a floorless shelter. I use a nest. (Ants!!!) [( That's actually a pretty funny story, I'll share it sometime])