Shrek's armed camping trip 2015 ;)

I've got better gear but if it blows in like last year I'm not going to lie and tell you I'm tough enough for -11 and blowing 20-30 mph. I did stop and hunt a half day in -5 and it was ok but the wind had slacked off.

That kind of wind when it's brisk tends to make anyone look for a windbreak. I would imagine the effect would be amplified for a Floridian. That's why I think it's important to have a plan and some good cold weather gear. I wasn't questioning your mettle. In a moment of empathy, I was just hoping you don't freeze your oranges off this year.

Radio has died ! Brutal :(

My XM radio shut down in SD for a few hours on this year's trip. I feel your pain. I was on the phone with them from the side of the road outside Chamberlain the moment their offices opened.

You can practice with your elk calls, but that's a long drive. If your radio is totally dead, but you have some CD's, you may want to dip into the emergency funds for a cheap Wally World boom box and several packs of batteries.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, we've definitely become a society of constant stimuli. When I drive cross country sometimes I even forget that there's a radio in the vehicle.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'll survive...maybe :). I was looking forward to some stations playing things I don't normally hear. I've got a favorites sampling playing in my head to get me through.

Right now I can hear George Jones singing... He stopped loving her today....

Last edited:

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
That stretch of 212," the warriors trail", shortcut to billings from belle fourche is awful for radio! I even tried to listen to NPR out there once, about 5 min of that and i almost had to stop and puke. Id rather listen to the voices in my head. If its night time your good though, youll be totally occupied dodgeing the HUNDREDS of mulies that like to feed on the shoulder and watch as you blast by them a cpl feet away.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Oh yeah ! MyTunes in my head is digging up some goodies from the day :) Sir Mix A Lot was just singing ...My Posse's on Broadway...

Yep, we've definitely become a society of constant stimuli. When I drive cross country sometimes I even forget that there's a radio in the vehicle.

I don't need constant stimuli. I am perfectly happy in the almost total silence of winter camping. I welcome and relish times like that.

But I definitely find that listening to enjoyable music on a cross country drive improves the near endless flat of Western MN and Eastern SD and helps shake the noise, aggravations and pressure of work out of my head.

For me, during a drive out, it's kind of like toilet paper for my mind. I suppose that I could do without it, but I don't know why I would want to.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Wow ! Didn't know there were elk in the Kansas plains. Just past a herd about 5 miles east of exit 103.