Cold Weather boot?

dotman

WKR
I'll be hunting MT the first week of Nov and my main boots are uninsulated. Any issue with not taking an insulated boot this time of year? I have wiggy's pack boots but am not a huge fan of how loose they fit for covering a lot of ground. My feet usually do not get cold easily.

Shrek

WKR
If you have good socks and your feet stay dry you'll be fine. I hunt in uninsulated boots and I'm fine down to -5 so far.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Yeah that's what I figured but haven't hunted outside of Sep For a lot of years in the mountains.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I do have hot moc booties that weigh nothing I will probably bring. Maybe I need a better pack boot but between sorel and wiggy's I have yet to have one that felt comfortable enough to put a ton of miles on. I'll have OR Croc gaiters on so deep snow shouldn't be an issue as far as getting in the boots.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt Montana rifle in lowa hunter evos, 200 grams permaloft in them and it seems to help. Very comfortable as well. I also tend to get cold easily

tttoadman

WKR
I wear uninsulated Tibets with really heavy socks all the time. I am a very cold person. I need the tight heel locks like the Tibets, and I have not really seen a pack boot that will hold as tight as these.

This is what I just did. Since I really only need the extra warmth for sitting, I picked up a pair of Neos overboots. This also serves as my water crossing footwear. I taked extensively with the guys at the Mountain shops in Portland. They said the main this is to get insulated from the ground. I will know if this was a decent plan after elk season. I will report back.