Cabela's Euro HD

So let me start by saying I'm a little bit picky about certain things.

Just received my euros in the mail. Store was out of 10x42's. Right away I noticed a whitish/grayish film on the green armor. Anyone else with these binos have this? Or notice this? Wondering if it's normal, or if I got some kind of defect. I didn't notice this on the set in the case at the store. Wondering if I need to take them back.

Kind of hard to tell in the pics, but it's noticeable.

It doesn't rub off either.

Thanks

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I don't see how it will effect anything ....an amour all wipe will brighten them up easy enough if your really worried about it.

OP
B
Sure thing Riley;)

I stopped in Cabelas in junction today on my way back from doing some scouting. Checked out a couple sets at the optics counter. Neither set was like mine. In fact, mine is an entirely different shade of green. Definitely not normal. Probably fine, but would at least like to know why they are like that. Maybe I will give Meopta a call tomorrow.

OP
B
So after digging through numerous Google pages, I think I have figured out what the white/gray film is. Apparently it's known as "blooming." Learn something new everyday.

Definition - Most nitrile (NBR), highly saturated nitrile (HSN/HNBR) and neoprene (CR) rubber materials undergo a process called “blooming” whe they are stored. “Bloom” is a milky dusting of dry powder on the surface of the rubber. Typically, this is caused by unused vulcanizing
agent(s) migrating to the surface of the rubber part.

If you have a pair of dark colored muck boots, maybe you have noticed something similar.

Still planning on calling Meopta in the morning and hearing what they have to say about it. Not very exciting, but maybe when John Doe has the same question I did, someday down the road he will be able to Google it and find this thread with an answer.

Yea that is pretty weird... Cabelas has a great return policy... may be best to just take it up with them and exchange it

stephen b

WKR
That is exactly how they come when packaged new from Cabelas. It is totally normal, and everyone that is (was) packaged that way from store by me was like that in packaging when I looked at them. We looked at 5 boxes of new ones and all were the same ( 8x32's also-etc). It goes away- that is why you do not see in optics counter ones. The optics guy at Cabelas counter told me it was some sort of protectant type substance that is on the armor and his was same way when he got his, and yes- it does go away. Maybe rubs in, I do not know.

And I had a 12x50 Euro HD, and it was exactly the same deal.

OP
B
That is exactly how they come when packaged new from Cabelas. It is totally normal, and everyone that is (was) packaged that way from store by me was like that in packaging when I looked at them. We looked at 5 boxes of new ones and all were the same ( 8x32's also-etc). It goes away- that is why you do not see in optics counter ones. The optics guy at Cabelas counter told me it was some sort of protectant type substance that is on the armor and his was same way when he got his, and yes- it does go away. Maybe rubs in, I do not know.

And I had a 12x50 Euro HD, and it was exactly the same deal.

Appreciate the insight Stephen. So sounds like you kind of had the same question when buying yours at Cabelas, and you looked at several boxes, and they were all similar? Wonder if they clean the display models off with some sort of cleaner before displaying them. Just seems strange to me that they come from the factory that way.

Thanks.

stephen b

WKR
Yes, I did- because when we opened the new ones they were all like that. And when I asked about it there was (2) fellas that were working the counter that day, and one bought a 8x32 and one had a 10x42 and they said that was exactly how they come. And they said it changes with use. Do not know if it rubs off, or in. All I saw were like that in the boxes. Over time it just goes away.

I think the display ones just get used a lot and you do not see it on those.

OP
B
Appreciate the feedback. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

I did call on speak with Meopta today. They asked me to send them a couple of pics, which I did. I received a call back at the end of the day and they basically did not have an answer as to what it was exactly.