Talk about a SPECIALITY BACKPACK!

I know a guide/outfitter in AZ who regularly takes wounded warriors hunting...many are amputees. The guy is huge and strong like bull...he carries these guys in the field on his back! Think about that for a moment...stalking elk with a guy on your back. Not only has he done this several times, the soldiers are connecting with bulls. One was a triple amputee who just knocked down a huge elk last week. I would post photos of the guy and the warriors with their bulls but don't have permission. Here's my question...is there a pack (or pack idea) designed for carrying people on your back? I've seen what Kifaru's frames and belts are capable of and if there is a practical and proven system that will assist this guy in making the wounded warriors dreams come true...I'd like to provide him a pack to support that worthy effort. It would need to be relatively simple so the hunter can get in/on and off quickly. Has anyone ever created such a thing?

I think something could be made to attach to a Kifaru tactical frame with aluminum stays. I would make some sort of pivoting seat with maybe some stirrups on the bottom for the rider to rest their legs. The seat would pivot vertically so that the carrier would kneel down and the rider would straddle the seat and pivot it up into position and straps would clip in on either side of the rider up to the top of the frame.

Wasn't the cargo chair capable of (designed for) doing something like that? You might be able to take that platform and evolve it into what you're trying to accomplish.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I would contact Aaron at Kifaru and run this past him. Sounds like a cargo chair on a duplex, but I think that was for emergency ops.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
A very worthy cause indeed. I am sure Aaron would be willing to help out.

I saw a video a year or so ago and there was a guy hauling a special needs young man around on his back with a duplex. I believe Kifaru had made him a custom sling so he could take the kid hiking.

Markdjr

FNG
I have carried my girlfriend around using the grab it 2 and my new hunting frame.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I already tried the CP...no bueno. And yes, the hunter will wanna see the action unfold and be facing forward. He (or she) must also be able to get on and off easily with little noise and movement. Some of these hunts are archery and crossbow. The country is not forgiving either...there are challenges to hunting NW AZ. This guy will go the extra mile...he's as die hard as they come. Shoots an 80lb bow and fills all his tags. No doubt in part because of his good karma.

If possible it would nice if the pack can be used for his personal hunts as well (meaning the warrior harness or whatever can be replaced with a more traditional pack or CP as well.

Last edited:
I say talk to Aaron. We talked about this very thing some time back. I know he was considering this for a hunt at one of the shows. I think he actually carried the VET who was to receive the hunt around at the show. When it comes to packs and ingenious I think Patrick Smith. Just my 2 cents gents.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Does anyone see any problem using a Duplex frame and cargo chair configuration like this? Seems like a simple solution and one I can afford. Lotsa used packs in the classifieds these days.

Might want to keep an eye on length of time in that position. Suspension trauma is nothing to mess around with. Frequent breaks and repositioning should help keep it to a minimum.

twall13

WKR
Your best bet, I agree, is probably talking to Aaron Snyder. If that doesn't work out I would think a Bull Pac could be used to make a seat and haul someone. I seem to recall a story where someone's hunting partner broke their leg in the backcountry and was hauled out using a Bull Pac. Just another option to look at.

mauidiver

WKR
All I know is this rig above looks perfect for public land Texas whitetail season. We have to bring the animal only field dressed! Sucks!! But I can see how easy this would be to put Deer legs down as this, tie, then animals stomach to your back and you hold two front legs as you pack out. Perfect!