Looking for a Wyoming Antelope Rifle Unit for 2016

Vids

WKR
Looking for some input on an area to hunt antelope in Wyoming. I don't need a honey hole or anything like that, just looking for some general input and to hear from people who have hunted these areas before.

The hunt will be for my dad and I, he is 74 and not able to walk very far. He will also want to stay in a motel, so something close to a city is necessary. We do have one preference point, so based on the draw odds it looks like we could draw a lot of units. We are coming from Denver and would prefer to keep the drive under 4 hours. A quick scan of maps shows me that Cheyenne, Laramie, Casper and Rawlins are all within range.

Some general questions:
1. It looks like BLM land is pretty checker-boarded with private. Is corner hopping allowed?
2. Generally, how difficult is it to get private access for antelope?
3. What has been your experience with these units? Are they overcrowded with hunters? Is there a decent animal population?

Any info you can share is appreciated, thanks!!

wapitibob

WKR
1, corner hopping is not "illegal" in the sense that there is no law on the books defining it. Depending on the County, if caught, the LO will call the sheriff and you'll be cited. If caught by a game dept warden, it depends. Game dept wardens have been told not to cite and the wardens i have talked to have backed that up but also mention the sheriff will cite. Legal precedence has been set in court to allow it, but only for one county. I don't bother because of all the opportunity, it's not worth the hassle.

2, cost is going up every year. I now hear several hundred to 1,000

3, I hunt every year but for does. The tags have been cut in half over the last few years making it difficult to pick a unit. I look for several sections of BLM and or state and usually hunt there. If pops can't walk and you're in a limited unit you might spring for ranch access.
Walk in ares (some allow driving main roads) can get busy early then calm down down a bit but the goats get smartened back up pretty quick.

wyosteve

WKR
I haven't hunted it in years, but the areas northeast of Rawlins and Muddy Gap toward Casper have a lot of BLM land and usually have antelope.

NoWiser

WKR
This year was the first year I went out and gave antelope hunting a shot and it was a blast! We (my dad, cousin, and I) hunted a "crappy" leftover unit and 3 of us each filled a buck and doe tag in barely over a day. Two of the bucks were pretty decent too, I thought. I have no idea how to score an antelope and I doubt they'd score terribly well, but they were nice, representative bucks. It was a very fun hunt and we will be out there again next year. After a couple of meals my wife pretty much told me that I had to go back. They are delicious!

I'm sure with one point you guys can find an area that will give you a good hunt. Look for an area with a good amount of state and BLM land that you can draw with your point. Then, call the county and see if you can get a map of their maintained roads. If you can get to a few good chunks of public land on the county roads, you are in good shape. Good luck!

bobhunts

WKR
Buy a few more PP's and you will be looking at some better areas. Even though you can still have a ton of fun on almost all BLM in the area south and west of Casper. Another good area is north and west of Casper. Good high Sage that will allow you to stalk a good buck. Don't overlook the walk in areas too. Lots of landowners have a box to put your portion of the tag in so they get some money back. Good luck!

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
I appreciate the PMs and all the input from everyone. Looks like we should be able to find a unit to have an enjoyable hunt in next year. I'm not too worried about a trophy or anything, I've got 3 antelope bucks on the wall as of now. I mainly want to have a fun hunt with my old man and bring home some meat.

bobhunts - My dad will be 74 next year, so holding out for more points isn't an option. We are heading to WY because he wants to hunt antelope again, and I have 5 PPs in CO that I don't want to burn yet.