How many days & how many approach combos will you give a spot to produce?

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to Vermont and have been hunting the New Hampshire & Vermont season without seeing a shooter. How long do you give a particular spot before bailing? I understand the rut changes everything overnight but some places just hold more deer than others.

I've been a long time western hunter and new to the ways of the Eastern deep woods. That said, I'm not a rookie, just trying to establish realistic expectations. Regardless, hunting the woods is a blast not to mention beautiful.

LostArra

WKR
Pints: I get a poor attitude if I have hunted a spot 2 or 3 times both am and pm with a favorable wind and not seen any deer.
I do have some spots that are only hunted during the rut when bucks are cruising but they are duds at other times.
Two weeks ago I killed my biggest deer ever in one of those stands.

I used to have a problem with falling in love with a spot because it "looks good" or it's a good tree or its easy to get to.
On the other hand, when I shoot a deer I keep that spot forever which is probably just as bad.

Poser

WKR
I tend to only hunt most of my spots a single time during the season. However, if chasing is underway, I don't have a problem with sitting on a high percentage terrain funnel for multiple sits. Another exception might be if I am really confident a spot will produce but did not on the first attempt, though, even then (when I come across a feature that begs "this spot right here!!), I'm more prone to giving it one hunt per season when conditions are optimal. If it did not produce, I'll try it again next year and maybe again the year after. If it is mature bucks you are after, there is a lot of data that indicates your first sit is statistically your best opportunity. Of course, there are many exceptions to that as well. There are not a lot of hard rules as what may work on property (hunting the same spot over and over again), may backfire on another property, but one steadfast rule I have is to not hunt spots with great potential unless conditions are optimal. As a result, I like to have a number of secondary "experimental" spots reserved for when conditions aren't great for any of my A list locations.

woods89

WKR
I'm with Poser, one time per season. But you have to have a lot of spots then! That approach will not work on a small property very well. I should qualify that I will hunt a second time in the right circumstances but not very often.

The element of surprise is one of the more underrated issues talked about in the whitetail world.

ChrisS

WKR
Are you hunting the big public woods or patches of farmland? In the Adirondacks, I don't bother with watching spots. Bucks in areas of lower populations might not use the same area for 3 or 4 days. Wait for snow and track 'em and whack 'em, or drive ridges and plateaus to watchers. We run successful drives with as few as two people hunting either side of a ridge or draw.

In the deeper woods, grunting, rattling, and scents work a little better since most of the deer have rarely encountered hunting pressure.

elkyinzer

WKR
I hunt farmland where I expect to see multiple deer every sit, yet I also hunt big woods where I might see a deer every 3-4 days but it will often be a big one. In those big woods there are a whole lot of 'deer deserts' where you may sit for years without seeing one, you really have to know what terrain to hunt and what they are feeding on at the time.

It can be tough in the deep woods and your best rut days are rapidly winding down if not over already. I would be thinking thick, south facing benches on slopes with feed where the bucks are resting and recovering. Find one of these with travel routes and some does near by and you may still have a chance.

OP
PintsOfCraft

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the details that you've each shared. I've been in the woods between VT & NH nearly every day and have had a fantastic time learning the ropes. I tend to cover lots of ground and probably way too fast, scanning for likely locations and slowing down to explore them. I've spent the season successfully slowing my pace and my sightings have risen accordingly. The rut seemed to start slow and peeter out. Mostly warm weather and minimal snow has offered its own challenges to work through. I've definitely collected a few spots for next season & leaned a lot. I have hunted both small plots and the bigger woods. I really prefer the bigger woods as its a bit closer to the solitude I became accustomed to in Colorado & Idaho.

Hope you all had a great season!

OP
PintsOfCraft

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
"one steadfast rule I have is to not hunt spots with great potential unless conditions are optimal. As a result, I like to have a number of secondary "experimental" spots reserved for when conditions aren't great for any of my A list locations." - Thanks Elkyinzer

This is a great tip. Thanks!

rhendrix

WKR
How many days & how many approach combos will you give a spot to produce?

I've been running and gunning this year and consequently seen a lot more deer. Spent some time this summer scouting an area, first set I hung was an observation stand, saw on the first night where deer were coming from and moved my stand to that location the following afternoon, ended up missing a great 8 point due to nerves and not adequately preparing for shots with a single pin. But, I learned a lot, and have been running and gunning the rest of the season and seen a lot more deer because of it and discovered a ton of deer sign too. If I don't see anything on a sit, I'll pull my stand and move midday; rinse, wash and repeat until I'm in deer.

Just a thought.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Your best bet is to hunt any other state than Vermont. Also, lower your expectations of what a shooter is as compared to western hunting. I would hunt the Adirondacks of New York over either Vermont or New Hampshire. Maine has great potential, but plan on spending alot of time/deer unless your last name is Benoit. Overall, NY is easier hunting and has more quality deer. Try areas in the Saranac Lake, Lake Placid and High Peaks if you are looking for big bucks.

OP
PintsOfCraft

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Your best bet is to hunt any other state than Vermont. Also, lower your expectations of what a shooter is as compared to western hunting. I would hunt the Adirondacks of New York over either Vermont or New Hampshire. Maine has great potential, but plan on spending alot of time/deer unless your last name is Benoit. Overall, NY is easier hunting and has more quality deer. Try areas in the Saranac Lake, Lake Placid and High Peaks if you are looking for big bucks.

I really appreciate the honest appraisal of hunting these New England states. I never let my attitude suffer on a hunt but I began to ask the obvious questions in regard to general population density and am beginning to agree with you. I'll plan on hunting NY in he areas that you suggested next year. I live just across Champlain from few promising ADK spots as well. Nearly everything is different out here and the challenge alone drives me forward. If only we had snow this past season!

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted that country many years of my life. When you get set next season, post or send pm and I will get you into places you need to be. There are quality bucks because they get to live longer than in VT. It will never compare to the west, but you can have some quality hunts and have a shot at some very nice bucks.