Color change my bino harness. RIT dye?

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I got a bino harness for my birthday in kryptec and I want to dye it black. 2 question, will it work? Has anyone ever done it?
Lunchbox

I think it depends on the material. If it is cotton or similar, dye will take. If it is nylon or similar synthetic, probably not. For clothes dye to work best, it has to be in hot water which might cause a problem with nylon or synthetic.
I have spray painted some different gear that was nylon type, using Krylon for plastic spray paint. Spray a light coat first, then re apply additional coats until you get the shade you want. It is very difficult to change the color of something to black. It never seems to look as dark as a similar object that was originally made in black.
Way back when, when starting on the PD SWAT team, very few items were available in black, so we had to dye everything. Now eveything is available in black. Call the company that made the harness, and see what they suggest, or if yours is still new, maybe they will exchange it for a black one.

OP
milunchbox

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I think it depends on the material. If it is cotton or similar, dye will take. If it is nylon or similar synthetic, probably not. For clothes dye to work best, it has to be in hot water which might cause a problem with nylon or synthetic.
I have spray painted some different gear that was nylon type, using Krylon for plastic spray paint. Spray a light coat first, then re apply additional coats until you get the shade you want. It is very difficult to change the color of something to black. It never seems to look as dark as a similar object that was originally made in black.
Way back when, when starting on the PD SWAT team, very few items were available in black, so we had to dye everything. Now eveything is available in black. Call the company that made the harness, and see what they suggest, or if yours is still new, maybe they will exchange it for a black one.
Thanks for the info, I just really dont like the kryptek pattern but oh well.

WoodBow

WKR
Best bet is probably to find someone on here to trade you. I would think thay would be easy since camo is usually higher than black.

Call AGC directly (503) 385-6176 , or shoot them an e-mail (which they usually answer within and hour)- They are the best people in the Customer Service field. Tell them what you have, and what you want. They could possibly make it happen. I have the AGC for my Swaro EL Range, and love it.