Savage 308 hand load question

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, I have a Savage 99 in 308 caliber I wanted to hand load for. I have been reloading for 2 yrs and need some help. I do not know the twist rate yet of the barrel, but I think it should stabalize 150-180 grain bullets. It would be used as a saddle gun or a backup on deer or elk hunts, maybe black bear some day. When working up a load should I be more cautious (because it's older/lever action) than I would on a bolt action? Do I work up a load in a ladder test and adjust COAL the same as my 243 bolt action? Since it has a rotating magazine I won't be limited to round nose bulllets. Also what powders/bullets would you suggest? I was thinking a 180 accubond or 165 ish bullet as a 1 load fits all. All shots will be sub 300 unless I am out plinking. I have read a lot of info on this forum about the 308, I just need to know if any of that changes for old lever guns.

husky390

WKR
Sweet rifle. I have an old 99 Takedown in .303 Savage that I'm in the middle of oiling the stock. Before shooting yours a lot, I would check the buttstock near the tang for cracks or even consider buying a separate buttstock from Boyd's to shoot with. They're not that expensive and you wont have to worry about banging up the original wood. Mine has two hair line cracks so I will be going that route.

For my .308 bolt gun, everyone on here recommended a bullet weight of 165-168gr and that's what I'm sticking with. I haven't handloaded for mine a lot since the Barnes Vortx ammo shoots great for me. In the past, I used Varget or TAC for powder with good results. Good luck.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good idea to get a new stock. My dad also has a model 99 in a 300 savage they are fun guns. I have Winchester 150's I am shooting now then I will probably buy some 165's to see how they shoot.
Thanks!

husky390

WKR

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Yep watch out for the tang crack. Work up your loads the same as you would a bolt gun. Varget is a great powder for .308. If you are using a traditional cup and core bullet, then 165 or so will work very well. If you go monometal, I would try a 150. My old savage 99 is one I regret selling for sure.