1st Coyote of 2016

H82miss

FNG
1st Coyote of 2016

Jjess, Duckpopper, and I made it out for our first predator hunting trip of the year this morning. The recent holidays and work have kept us pretty busy over the last month and we were in serious need of some outdoor time. We had planned on hunting ducks at a friends family farm, but a scouting trip a couple days ago found that the ducks are no longer in the area so it was on to plan B. Coyotes!
Jjess and his son took a trip out to one of our old favorite spots a couple weeks ago and found a bunch of coyote and bunny tracks. We hadn’t hunted that spot in a few years so we thought we’d give it a go.
At a little after 7 this morning we headed out. Made it to our 1st stand at around 8. Great setup, perfect light wind in our faces, let ‘er rip. The Foxpro sang for about 20 minutes. Nothing.
“No worries, we’re just getting warmed up.” I haven’t shot a coyote in about 4 years because they always come to Jjess’ side, so I’m a little rusty.
On to stand #2. We were at a little higher elevation for this stand and walking through crunchy snow on the way in. Found a nice track.

Sat for 20 minutes in the chilly wind, fogged in with about 100 yard visibility. Nothing.
Stand 3 was similar to stand 2 but with a little less wind, and slightly better visibility. Same result, nothing.
On to stand 4. Feeling optimistic. This location is a spot that I have killed coyotes before, several years before, but it’s a good spot none the less. The 3 of us set up 10 yards apart facing northwesterly in the shade of a small rock outcropping elevated on a slight hill. Wind and sun at our backs overlooking a large burnt area surrounded by sagebrush flats. The Foxpro started playing a Tony Tebbe tune. (Thanks Tony!) I was thinking to myself “I just don’t think a coyote is going to come all the way across that wide open burned area to us.” With my binos I scanned around the edge of the sagebrush some 500 yards out. Nothing. Put my binos down, looked down to fiddle with something on my chest pack, looked back up, and Viola!! Here comes a coyote straight at me across the wide open burned area!! Through the scope she looks like a bright white fur ball trotting across the dark brown wide open earth. I lip squeak to let the others know I see her. They already see her too, can’t miss her out in the open, the contrast was amazing. 300 yards and closing at a trot. I’m on her. She stops at 200 facing me. The wind is blowing 5-10 right at her. Bang! She starts to spin. I shoot again. Bang! Bang, Jjess lets one fly too. I give her one more, Bang! She falls still. Fur Down!! The first shot probably would've been fatal, but I like to keep shooting until they are down for good. I’ve got lots of bullets.

Jjess & H82Miss

Obligatory tailgate shot

Next 2 stands were blanks.
Then we headed out because the roads were getting super muddy.
Stopped for a post hunt picnic on the way home.

Burgers & tots

Thanks for reading,
H82miss