Swarovski X5 Long Range Scope Review

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
SWFA_X5%20Rifle%20Scope_cross%20section_text_zpss05bqyja.jpg

I had the chance to run this scope on my rifle last fall. Feature rich and great glass. Check it out.
Swarovski X5 3.5-18X50 Review - Rokslide

Last edited by a moderator:

Whisky

WKR
Would this scope look out of place on a Cooper 92 Backcountry?

So would you replace all your NXS scopes with these or satisfied either way?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

Whisky, you and I think alike! : ) I wish they made a 42mm version... : ) What caliber are you getting your M92 Backcountry in? :)

Ryan,
Have you had a chance to see the new Leupold VX-6 with the Zero Lock? Are they comparable scopes?

Whisky

WKR
Whisky, you and I think alike! : ) I wish they made a 42mm version... : ) What caliber are you getting your M92 Backcountry in? :)

Ryan,
Have you had a chance to see the new Leupold VX-6 with the Zero Lock? Are they comparable scopes?
A 42 would be nice...

Well, considering I haven't seen a caliber list yet, or price...I'm just gonna assume they are gonna do one up in 300wm and that would be my choice I think. What about you?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 42 would be nice...

Well, considering I haven't seen a caliber list yet, or price...I'm just gonna assume they are gonna do one up in 300wm and that would be my choice I think. What about you?
Leaning toward 300wm as well... to many options these days... : )
From Cooper: It is available in any standard long action or belted magnum caliber.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

That's a tough question. I have shot some animals way out there with a NXS. I can tell you this. Both of my NXS are 56mm, the 50mm on the X5 is MUCH brighter than the NXS in low light. I need to compare the X5 to and enhanced Nightforce. As far as having confidence in dialing way out, either would be fine. The X5 is a bit lighter, if you're an ounce counter.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan,

I have looked at them. I am going to buy one and test it. But I would not put them in the same category as the X5. The X5 is a Long Range Scope in every way. IMO the VX-6 is a all around scope with long range capabilities.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, is there a clarity or quality difference between the vx-3 and vx-6?
Don't quote me on this. But talking to lupy at shot the only difference in glass is the diamond coating they use on the VX 6 is better. I don't know if that affects clarity or not. I've never had them side by side to compare.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What do you mean by "enhanced" Nightforce?

From Nightforce on the atacr enhanced
"The 34mm tube allows 120 MOA/34.9 Mils of elevation adjustment. Fully multi-coated ED glass results in light transmission values of over 90%, brilliant images and exceptional color contrast. A magnification range of 5x to 25x, and a wider field of view as a result of its unique optical prescription (17.96 feet at 5x) will cover virtually any situation a shooter could encounter."

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan, I have read the x5 review a couple of times and there isn't much info out there. I see they make it in 1/4 and 1/8 moa. 1/8 would give more precision per stop of adjustment. What is given up in doing so? is there a difference in travel or # of revolutions for the long end? I am not buying anytime soon, but this is currently one of the front runners in my search for a replacement. I was looking at the 5-25x56 at 30 ounces.

Skagit Warrior

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan,Looking at getting the christensen arms tfm in 300 Win Mag, what are you thoughts on this rifle for long range shooting? I just picked up the X5 5-25x56 for this set up. Any info would be great.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, I have read the x5 review a couple of times and there isn't much info out there. I see they make it in 1/4 and 1/8 moa. 1/8 would give more precision per stop of adjustment. What is given up in doing so? is there a difference in travel or # of revolutions for the long end? I am not buying anytime soon, but this is currently one of the front runners in my search for a replacement. I was looking at the 5-25x56 at 30 ounces.

It's just has more clicks:) I see zero point in getting 1/8 moa on a LR hunting scope. IF your talking 1/2 MOA rifle you couldn't tell the difference at 1000 between a 1/4 or 1/8 MOA anyways. Get a good shooting rifle a 1/4 MOA X5 and you are set if the nut behind the butt does his part.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan,Looking at getting the christensen arms tfm in 300 Win Mag, what are you thoughts on this rifle for long range shooting? I just picked up the X5 5-25x56 for this set up. Any info would be great.

I do like the TFM. But if I was buying one now I would look hard at the ELR or Ultra ELR. I like the stock a lot better than the TFMs.

Skagit Warrior

Lil-Rokslider
What do you like better about the ELR Ultra stock vs the TFM. I have not seen either of these in person

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What do you like better about the ELR Ultra stock vs the TFM. I have not seen either of these in person

The ELR is adjustable in LOP and comb height. But they bolt on(no moving parts) The ELR is also much more streamlined than the TFM. It has a narrower pistol grip. it feels better in both the prone and offhand. The ELR is fiberglass the Ultra ELR is carbon.

Here is a link to their catalog if you haven't seen it.
http://christensenarms.com/sites/default/files/CARMS-Catalog-2016.pdf

Thanks for the write-up. I'm still on the fence on which reticle to use. Have you got a chance to use any of the other 2 reticles? I'm leaning more towards the BRM reticle. Did you have any issues in finding your long range targets witht the 3.5? I hunt in pretty brushy part of the country. Shots can range from 20ft to 1000 yards. I'm also on the fence about the illumintated reticle. Not sure is a scope cap will fit all the way on? Would be nice if Swaro designed a waterproof cap for their scopes.