If you had heel issues with Kenetrek, what boot did you end up with?

Bughalli

WKR
I have the Kenetrek mountain extreme's (size 12 wide). Love the quality of the boot, design and many of the features. They provide awesome ankle support, they're fantastic for side-hilling and bomb proof. Very comfortable on most terrain, but I am one of those unfortunate folks who no matter what I do they tear up my heels on steep uphill hikes. I get a major hot spot in the back of my heel. It's doesn't appear to be a "heel slip", because it fits well and I don't feel any slippage. The boot appears to torque my heel into the heel cup too much or maybe the heel cup just isn't deep enough for my heel. Feels like there's a rock in my boot, sitting right on the back of your heel. I'll feel it within the first step up a steep hill. Even just standing there with the feet pointing up hill, not moving. I sent them back to Kenetrek to have them "work on", which I think helped a little, but not enough for my prolonged backpack hunts. I have put the time and miles in to break them in, so I don't think they will improve substantially over time. They're just not the right boot for my foot.

Thus, I'm still searching for the perfect boot. For guys who had Kenetrek's and experienced heel issues similar to mine...what boots did you end up? Finding the perfect boot is getting expensive and while there are no shortcuts, a little guidance from guys with similar experience might reduce the wasted dollars.

For reference, I use the Asolo Fugitive (size 12W) for early season hunts and I can wear them for a week in steep terrain without issues, but I would like to find a leather boot that fits just as well - more robust, better suited for high alpine backpacking, more ankle support and are a little warmer. I used to do mountaineering and never had issues with hard shell boots on steep terrain (Koflach), so there must be a leather boot that fits the shape of my foot. Thoughts or suggestions?

LaHunter

WKR
If you search reviews of the Lowa Tibets, you will have to hunt pretty hard to find fit / heel issues. These boots seem to work for most people that try them, based on my research. I've had a pair for 2 years and they have performed great. I hunt in some pretty steep rocky terrain in WY and the stiff sole is needed. These have very good ankle support and they aren't too heavy.

Good Luck

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I previously had Kenetreks and came to hate them but that's a long story. The pair I had was called Mountain Lights or a name similar to that, I can't quite remember. Dropping that much money on the boots forced me to wear them out before buying a new pair, I'm stubborn and hate wasting money mainly.

I tried on boots all over and finally settled on a pair of Salewa Ravens. Barney's sells them here in AK but I've seen them on other sites. To date that is the best money I've spent on hunting gear. I absolutely love them. Heel slip has never once been an issue, even when wet. I get hot spots on the balls of my feet when we've sidehilled for hours but only then. The boots actually have a blister free guarantee for 30 days or something like that. I talked my brother in law into a pair and he has been happy with the purchase as well. I don't think he'd rate them as high as his Nallo 3 but he likes them. No blisters or weird rubbing for him either.

I tape but it's purely precautionary. Notice where I don't tape.....
321.jpg

http://barneyssports.com/footwear/salewa-raven-combi-gtx.html

Last edited:
OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Ironically the Lowa Tibets were going to be my next boot to try since others recommended them, but I'm a little cautious on spending more $$, so I wanted to hear from others to see what they ended up with. I'll look at the Saleway's as well.

(Not looking to bash Kenetrek. Initially I was pissed mostly due to the lost $$, but realize everyone's foot is different. I just need to keep looking until I find what's best for me.)

coop2424

WKR
I have a pair of kenetrek that have been demoted to around the house due to heel issues.. I have tried so many insoles socks and everything and nothing has worked.. I went to the lowa hunters last year and every time I put them on to go on a hike I wonder why I tried to make the kenetrek work.. The lowas just fit perfect and are getting to feel like slippers... I also think the lowas are stiffer and better ankle support than the kenetrek at least for me. I also had good success with the meindl perfect the most expensive ones at cabelas but they discontinued size 14 but they fit as good if not better than the lowas..

My Tibets had a raised seam running all the way down the inside the boot on the back that rubbed directly on my heel and achilles. Hated that.
Hmm, never noticed that. Is that the GTX or LL version? I've never run Kenetreks by my twin brother does and regularly tears his heels up. I do tape early in the season with my heels in the Tibets but have never had more than a small heel blister that went away after taping it up. Regarding stiffness, I think the Tibet's have a 5mm shank, Kenetreks (at least the Mountain boots) have a 7mm shank so should be much stiffer. My Tibets are as stiff as I'd go. I'm also running the Superfeet green but am considering trying the L&S Synergy after Brock's review.

They are no where near the quality of the Kenetreks or Lowas, but the best I have found for my fit are the Danner Pronghorns. I have several pairs, insulated and un-insulated, and have not had any hot spots or blisters with them. I wear the Kenetrek Alaska socks, and no liner sock with them. They are knee high, and have padded areas on the toes, heel, and shin. All day comfort.

Last edited:

bhylton

WKR
Im looking at new boots also. LL Tibets tore up my heels and do not have a high enough instep for my feet

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
In your next boot....did you guys stick with the taller 10 inch versions or the shorter standard version? Thanks guys...keep the comments coming!

Rizzy

WKR
My crispi wilds are the 10" versions. It takes longer to break in and get used to the taller boots. I like the taller boots for stream crossings, snow, mud, the rocky areas i end up in sometimes and overall stability.

jmden

WKR
Im looking at new boots also. LL Tibets tore up my heels and do not have a high enough instep for my feet

Try the Vasyli's custom orthotic. Makes the instep/arch support in a Superfeet insole seem very anemic. Good heal cup and the huge arch support keeps your foot from sliding around and big loads from killing your feet/arch. Get the full length ones.

You'll want the high density red color if packing any kind of load.

http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/custom/red

My wife is a PT and her boss that specializes in foot stuff recommends these and I use them now in all my footwear.

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
I do like the 10 inch versions for the added ankle support on steep terrain. Sometimes it seems like over kill and other times you appreciate it. Thanks for the tip on Vastly"s. I'll check them out. I was using Kenetrek's upgraded inserts, but that didn't make a difference. Was planning to try Superfeet next.

Iron Mike

FNG
Lowa Tibets with the Synergy insoles is what I have. Shorter version as I am not a fan of a high boot. Never a blister yet with a few hundred miles on them. I use them for my backpack Elk hunts and hunting Chukers in sheep country. They are great with weight also. I packed or helped pack multiple Elk and deer with these and as far as over 100 Lbs can feel on your feet for many miles I am extremely happy.

mlob1one

WKR
I am a current Kennetrek owner but my next pair of boots is going to be from Lathropandsons.com check out how they custom fit your boots and the feedback on these guys can't be beat. Good luck.

yhudson

FNG
I had issues with my K. Hardscrables. Tried lacing techniques found on this site which helped a bit, but in steep terrain my heels got eaten UP!!! Tried the red insert from L&S and... WOW! It worked!!! Wore the boots the entire 2014 elk season and had zero issues.

kaboku68

WKR
Zamberlan Ibex Pro GTs but they are getting discontinued. They are a magnificent boot. I am getting another pair as redundant.