If you had heel issues with Kenetrek, what boot did you end up with?

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever put heel cups in? My left kenetrek gives me issues one day, the next its fine. It's like the heel cup needs to shrink and they would be heaven!

idig4au

WKR
The Kenetrek's didn't fit my feet at all....struggled with several different pairs until I gave up.

Now use Zamberlan Ibex GT and Zamberlan Pamirs as my go to boots. With the Pamir's, i have to put up with an orange boot, but they are fantastic mountaineering boot and excel in steep country.

tttoadman

WKR
I have over 2 years with Lowa Tibet shorts and have never had a blister on the heel. I will get a small blister on the side of my toe because they are a bit tight. I have the wides, but the Lowa Tibets are not really wide for wides. I have picked up some La Sportiva Nepals for insulated boots. They are nice and tall for late season, and really stiff. I am working on them. I get hot on the heels after a mile or so. It appears all i need to do is tape, and i am good to go. Good thing I got these with plenty of break in time. Short version is buy Tibets with confidence. Just make sure they are wide enough for you.

Try the Vasyli's custom orthotic. Makes the instep/arch support in a Superfeet insole seem very anemic. Good heal cup and the huge arch support keeps your foot from sliding around and big loads from killing your feet/arch. Get the full length ones.

You'll want the high density red color if packing any kind of load.

http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/custom/red

My wife is a PT and her boss that specializes in foot stuff recommends these and I use them now in all my footwear.
Where did you get those insoles? The closest place I could find was in Indiana.
Tim

gkempf

FNG
Had the same heel issues. Called James at Lathrop and Sons and he hooked me up with a pair of Scarp as and I couldn't be happier. James is a good Dude.

I have bony, protruding heels and Meindl Perfekt Hunters and Hikers work best for my feet. Other boots including other Meindl models do not have an adequate heel pocket and give me nearly instant heel blisters. I once tried on a pair of Kenetreks and they would not have worked at all for my foot. Every foot is different, just figure out what your foot needs and try the boot on a very steep uphill climb. You should know in a 1/4 mile if the new boot is going to cause heel problems or not. Don't accept that the boot needs to break in because a boot with the correct fit shouldn't give you immediate blisters when climbing. My 2 cents on heel blisters.

bmart2622

WKR
I got heel slip with my Kennetreks as well. I added some Synergy footbed fro Lathrop and Sons and it fixed the problem immediately. Might be a cheaper option than new boots and if it doesnt work you have some good insoles for your new boots.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Asolos fit me great, but I didn't find them having a mountaineering style boot out now that really works/looks decent. Zamberlan has a similar fit to asolo, with a narrow heal cup. Recently ended up with Zamberlain Ibex (similar to their pamir except leather), and 960 guides. The Ibex is very stiff which is great for steep areas with heavy loads and is climbing/mountaineering styled. The zamberlan 960 guide is a hiker with better support than asolo powermatics. Both zamberlan boots mentioned have rubber rands for protection. Can also check the zamberlain 980, which is the 960 but a higher boot cuff. Also hear la sportiva fits a lot of guys that use asolo, but the Makalus gave me horrible heel blisters. Good luck.

I bought a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes as well last spring. I had the same issue. Even a slight uphill would kill the back of my heals. I thought I was going to have to tape in the fall when hunting season rolled around. However for some reason I can't explain they just stopped. I hiked up and down and all over for days and never another problem. The funny thing is after a month or 2 in the spring I didn't wear them again till fall. They just magically fit my feet different. I started out hating them but now I love the way they feel.

GKPrice

Banned
I have over 2 years with Lowa Tibet shorts and have never had a blister on the heel. I will get a small blister on the side of my toe because they are a bit tight. I have the wides, but the Lowa Tibets are not really wide for wides. I have picked up some La Sportiva Nepals for insulated boots. They are nice and tall for late season, and really stiff. I am working on them. I get hot on the heels after a mile or so. It appears all i need to do is tape, and i am good to go. Good thing I got these with plenty of break in time. Short version is buy Tibets with confidence. Just make sure they are wide enough for you.

Lowa Tibet 8" for me without so much as a "warm spot", same with LOWA GTX 400's 10" - a short while back I ran onto a Crispi rep at the Ranch & Home in Kennewick, he was all set up for sizing and invited me to try on even though I told him I wasn't in the market - the guy knew his stuff BTW - when I need another non insulated pair of boots I may just give CRISPI's a try - (Lowa has treated me so well that I'm not committing yet but I'll look at them closely)

Tiger Rag

WKR
Salewa Raven have the most precise fit for my flat, low volume foot (size 12.5/13). I've tried several Lowa boots, they are very nicely made, but none locked my heel.....just too large volume for my particular foot. Also have had good luck with Hanwag in several models. Zamberlan also not too bad (narrower heel).

CaNINE

FNG
After 75+ miles and trying all the tricks I finally gave up on my hardscrabbles and switched to zamberlan 960 guide. About 40 miles on them and no issues.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Where did you get those insoles? The closest place I could find was in Indiana.
Tim

They looks similar to Sole's to me. Arch all the way across your instep which I prefer. I didn't see the vasylimedical anywhere near me either. Looks like they are Australian and more available in Europe. Maybe they're great and garner wider availability in the future. Competition is a good thing!