Bipod Shootout

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Just need to subscribe to this one I do not want to end up missing the rest of the discussion

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a quick list of the things I have been comparing on these bipods. Anything that you guys see that I'm missing? I'm working on the article now, so let me know.

• Weight
  • Size
  • Sturdy (how well does it lock)
  • Ease of use
  • Setup speed (type of attachments)
  • Different positions (steep terrain, side hill)
  • Feet on different surfaces
  • Mods (extensions, feet, mounts)
  • Comfort while carrying
  • Amount of adjustment
  • Loading the legs
  • Pan/Tilt/Pivot

How's about the amount of noise each makes when setting them up? Some will be pretty silent, but the Harris type can be noisy if the auto load legs are engaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to the review man. Thanks for putting in the time. The things I hate about my harris bipods are they're heavy, loud, and uncomfortable to shoulder. Besides that they work pretty dang well. Where we hunt it's a lot of big steep cross canyon shooting. Prone is hardly ever an option so adjusting to sitting height will be a key factor for us as well.

Thanks
Jake

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Couple pics of the Evolution.

IMG_3132_zpsymrcxwlz.jpg

01%20Coyote%20hunting_zpslciltkle.jpg

deadwolf

WKR
Here is a quick list of the things I have been comparing on these bipods. Anything that you guys see that I'm missing? I'm working on the article now, so let me know.

• Weight
  • Size
  • Sturdy (how well does it lock)
  • Ease of use
  • Setup speed (type of attachments)
  • Different positions (steep terrain, side hill)
  • Feet on different surfaces
  • Mods (extensions, feet, mounts)
  • Comfort while carrying
  • Amount of adjustment
  • Loading the legs
  • Pan/Tilt/Pivot

Justin, price has to be included as well I'd guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Still working on the article. Versatility goes to the Evolution. The Javelin is obviously the way to go if ultralight is the objective. All of the bipods tested have a place imo. Any specific questions?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, are those one-piece legs in the pics above with the Evolution? Do they make an extendable version that shortens up but still works for sitting length? How long are those one-piece legs?

I have two different leg sizes that I'm testing for the Evolution. The short ones are 8"-11", and the long legs I have are 22"-29". The legs change out exceptionally easy, and fast.

Is the blackhawk you tested the pan/traverse one? Hard to see in the photos.

Yes it is. It is a pretty good bipod for the money.

justin i recently picked up an evolution. in hand its bulky and much larger than others i have. weighs more as well. the 8-11 comes in at 15.8 oz on my scale, add the rail adapter, hardwear its a touch over a pound, my atlas is 12 oz and my harris is 14 oz. i bought it with the idea of having the 22-29 inch legs to carry in my pack with it but trying to get over the weight as is. seems like there could be some minimal improvements in a few areas as well especially for the price point, initial impressions. what is the weight of the 22-29'' legs if you dont mind me asking? on the fence to keep it or not......