Water bladder?

Eric27

Lil-Rokslider
What is the best water bladder in the market for a 5 day trip in the wilderness and most durable, 2 liters or 3.

Randle

WKR
I really like the source bladders they are strong , and they don't grow funk.

Last edited:

Wrongside

WKR
Source are the best I've used by far. Tough and relatively tasteless. Nice valve and thoughtful features built in. Really, really like the open top design- it's great for 'scooping' water from smaller streams and trickles...

MSR were good quality and durable- I used them for years- but tend to leave a taste. All the others leaked, sometimes quickly, and ended up in the trash.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Platypus Big Zip for me. I have had no problems with it. I just fill it from the water source and use a inline filter.

OP
E

Eric27

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going with source but with one Ultimate Source M.C. 3L Hydration Upgrade Kit or WXP 3L Storm™ Valve Hydration System?

Not sure it's the "best" but I have had great luck with my camelbak antidote 3L bladders. My katadyn hiker pro works perfectly with its quick disconnect attachments.

Not sure it's the "best" but I have had great luck with my camelbak antidote 3L bladders. My katadyn hiker pro works perfectly with its quick disconnect attachments.
Don't know anything about your setup, but if you plan on doing a lot of wilderness hikes you will need 3 liters sooner or later.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Huge http://www.geigerrig.com/ Fan. Not the lightest but its basically indestructible. If you youtube Geigerrig you can see all the destruction testing they do on it.

Example

[video=youtube;ESi-JBcW2Ac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESi-JBcW2Ac[/video]

This unique design has a pump that you can pressurize the bladder with. Its a seperate chamber also and if you couple this with a sawyer mini its a pretty nice setup.

charvey9

WKR
Playtapus Hoser is one of the lightest. Simple and easy. Have been using the same one for 3 years with no issues, including many nights as a pillow. Comes in 2L or 3L.

Unless you plan on jumping on your bladder repeatedly in the backcountry, some of the durability features are over rated.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
After a second time of completely wet gear and having to dry it out, I wanted something that I could trust. I dont find it overrated at all. That was my motivation. Yours definitely maybe different.

OP
E

Eric27

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kifaru markhor , I'm looking to do 5 to 10 days in the field ,I had a 2 liter badlands

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a camelback 3L and an osprey 3L, the camelback was acquired from a buddy in the army and its very tough and has never leaked (but it does condensate fairly quickly). The osprey has been good so far, it hasnt seen much use as its heavier and not as friendly to get into and out of my pack.

OP
E

Eric27

Lil-Rokslider
This is the reason I love this forum , great people always willing to help , thanks again guys. I've ordered the source .

Luked

WKR
I just bought a MSR dromelite 4L
Was looking at a platypus 3L but thought the dromelite would be better and a little more durable

After a second time of completely wet gear and having to dry it out, I wanted something that I could trust. I dont find it overrated at all. That was my motivation. Yours definitely maybe different.
I agree with this guy. Ive now had a few dromedary bags, platypus big zips, & camel backs all leak @ one time or another. Tougher isn't over rated with me.

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Another water bladder option
I wanted to test this out before I suggested it and for me it worked great. I bought a source tactical wide pack 3L water bladder to put in a ilbe lid I picked up cheap on eBay. It has a disconnect bite valve, universal fill adapter, and covered hose.

The pals webbing on the lid lets you attach Kifaru belt pockets. I put my phoneskope adapter, headlamps, keys, iphone in those. When you need to refill you just pop the bite valve off, put the adapter on, and you can put a 16oz water in in about 10 seconds.

My pack is a emr ii and I didn't want to smash the bladder when I tightened the straps down on an elk quarter. After packing out a deer and a elk it worked perfectly. I had water the whole time, I never had to fumble with the bladder and I never had to remove it to fill it. I did have to sew 2 ladder locks on to be able to attach it to the pack and a clip to hook the bladder in. The other two buckles are nexus so they worked fine.

The more I use this pack the more I like it, unzip the bag throw the quarter in compress it down and go. The new frame is awesome, comfortable and carries heavy weight so well.

Nomad on left EMR ii on right. The lid does make it taller though. But it did work quite well for me.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=387139

jeffpg

WKR