Making aluminum stays for Kifaru duplex

TubbsTru

WKR
Hey all- I have a duplex in he way with carbon arrow stays. Was thinking of someday making some aluminum stays to put in. Can somebody give me some specs on what the stock aluminum stays are from Kifaru?

Thanks!

bbrown

WKR
It's really easy - Kifaru uses 3/16" x 1" aluminum stock. On my old duplex I played around with using 1/8"x 1" aluminum bat stock from Home Depot to save some weight and add a bit of flex. Hardest for you will be matching the bends that they use since you have the arrows - I just matched the same bends from the factory stays.

Here are the Kifaru stays:
View attachment 33409

And my DIY version:
View attachment 33411

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
Thanks guys. Only reason is we usually have a ton of different stock where I work. Should have just gone with aluminum to start and done my own arrows, but may buy the composites down the road if I ended up buying from Kifaru

bbrown

WKR
Hell if you want - cover the cost of the materials and shipping and I will send you the 1/8" stays I have laying around. My new duplex should getting shipped next week. It's coming with the composite stays and I already have the arrows so I don't see myself using these.
Shoot me a PM if you want them.

WoodBow

WKR
It will not likely be the same as the stock you can buy at home depot or tractor supply. I dont know what it is but it is very soft. 7075 or 6061 would be good choices.

As far as profile, just bend it to match your back. Keep tweakinh it and look at it against your back in mirror to see where to bend more. I made diy composite stays for a frame i built last year. Its posted here somewhere.

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
Yeah WoodBow- saw that- that was a great job. My dad has made fiberglass trad bows for years so I thought about getting him to help me, but thought I'd start with aluminum first!

LBFowler

WKR
My kifaru al stays are 6061. I sourced some 7075 stays for more flex and lower weight.

Home depot stays don't make good pack stays, been there tried that.

I bought some 7075 1/8th x 1 inch stays from a seller on ebay called staymaker. They are sold as 24 inch stays to replace the usmc ilbe stays but if you just put in the comments the stay length you desire, 26, 24, or 22 they will cut the stays to your specs. They can even be shipped unbent. Great transaction. They are much stiffer than 6061 of the same dimensions but still flex enough to be dynamic. They are not as stiff as the stock aluminum stays that kifaru makes, but they are plenty good to about 80lbs. in my experience.

OP
TubbsTru

TubbsTru

WKR
Duchntr- that was helpful and points out another reason why I want to make my own---saves some cost.

My kifaru al stays are 6061. I sourced some 7075 stays for more flex and lower weight.

Home depot stays don't make good pack stays, been there tried that.[/QUOT

7075 is a superior aluminum to 6061. It is lighter but much stronger. Don't look for it to flex more.

LBFowler

WKR

Home depot stays don't make good pack stays, been there tried that.

7075 is a superior aluminum to 6061. It is lighter but much stronger. Don't look for it to flex more.

well, I should say the 7075 stays I sourced (Harperworks, which I believe is staymaker on ebay) are like half as thick the Kifaru 6061, so yeah, they flex WAY more. Anyone with an ILBE will know how much flex my duplex has now.
6061 stays the same dimensions as my 7075s would probably deform just pulling hard on the loadlifters.