Tikka T3 Bell and Carlson Stock Review/Results

My Tikka T3 Hunter in .270 Winchester started out as the blued/wood stock version. I've had the rifle for almost 6 years and it has definitely been used and abused. The lacquer finish on the stock had worn and flaked off in multiple areas. The blueing on the barrel and action was getting pretty bad to where certain spots of the gun would rust during the day while I was hunting.

After some research on stocks I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and sent the action off to a Cerakote company in Wilsonville, OR. I chose the B&C because of price, weight, and type of finish. It fit what I was looking for in a reasonable price.

Upon Arrival the stock dropped in and bolted right up. The fit was almost perfect. When checking the barrel for free float, I noticed a very small piece of stock material was protruding and touching the barrel. A small box knife took care of it and gave it the clearance it needed on the entire barrel contour.

Here is the finished product.

The bell and carlson medalist uses a full length aluminum bedding block compared to the stock tikka aluminum recoil lug. I was curious if this would help accuracy. Took it out yesterday and shot some short and long range. Here are the 100y results.

This 2 shot group is Federal Fusion 150 grain factory ammo. This ammo has always shot great out of this gun. Ive consistently gotten .75" groups or better with it. With the new stock it seems that it shoots even better.

This 3 shot group is my handloads: Berger 140 Gr VLD hunting, 55.0 gr IMR 4831, F210 Primer, 0.015 From the Lands. Those are half inch squares so that group is around 0.60"

At 550y it was ringing the 12" steel plate every time. Good enough for me since this isnt an ultra long range gun.

In conclusion the fit, finish and shoot-ability of this stock is great. In my experience it improved the accuracy of my rifle. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a replacement stock on a Tikka T3.

acwirz

FNG
I have a T3 in 308 and always wondered if an after market stock would improve the already good accuracy. Thx for the info.

OP
G
I believe it's only a few ounces heavier than the factory stock. I'll try to weigh it soon but my scale is broken.

GKPrice

Banned
I remember reading about 7 oz once. With the B&C being the heavier one.

Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks have been known as tough as nails stocks for many years but they've always been behind the rest when it came to "lightweight" B&C makes (or made) the Browning Ti stocks (I bought one, put an Abolt in it) and when I purchased a stock for a model 70 that they described as "a clone" to that Ti stock it weighed quite a bit more So .... good stocks ? YES true lightweight stocks ? not exactly

that's from my perspective of course

Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks have been known as tough as nails stocks for many years but they've always been behind the rest when it came to "lightweight" B&C makes (or made) the Browning Ti stocks (I bought one, put an Abolt in it) and when I purchased a stock for a model 70 that they described as "a clone" to that Ti stock it weighed quite a bit more So .... good stocks ? YES true lightweight stocks ? not exactly

that's from my perspective of course

I can echo that... I have a savage 116 that I put a B&C Medalist classic on, and it did add some weight for sure... extremely tough, and feels nice, so I think it was worth it, but not for a lightweight mountain rig

GKPrice

Banned
My medalist stock is 6oz more than the factory tikka.

not saying ANYTHING other than "are you sure ?" because at 6 oz I'd put one on a 300 Win Mag superlight in a second for that little gain

what scale did you weigh it on ? thanks !

weaver

WKR
Just a cheap harbor freight scale. I forgot but I also had a limbsaver pad on the tikka stock I weighed and I believe it added 2oz so that would be 8oz difference. Sorry about that.
When I get time I'll weigh my BC stock again. I recently bedded it so it might be a smidge heavier than it was but shouldn't be much.

GKPrice

Banned
Just a cheap harbor freight scale. I forgot but I also had a limbsaver pad on the tikka stock I weighed and I believe it added 2oz so that would be 8oz difference. Sorry about that.
When I get time I'll weigh my BC stock again. I recently bedded it so it might be a smidge heavier than it was but shouldn't be much.
No worries ! all stuff I'd do anyhow don't go to the trouble to take the stock off, what you posted is good enough - I'm gonna do a pseudo-long range project from a superlight 300 Win Mag and that stock should be just about perfect for the job
Thanks again !

OP
G
Finally weighed this rifle,

With the scope, rings, sling and 5 rounds in the magazine it's right at 9lb. I never weighed it prior to the stock swap.