Tent stakes

I am going on a moose hunt and Southwest Alaska and was wondering if the typical 6 inch stakes was sufficient for the tundra or if I should invest in bringing larger or longer stakes

VernAK

WKR
Yes.....larger and longer but not those made from large spikes as they don't have enough surface.......I had some military surplus stakes that were very good but a bit heavy.......we also have enough paracord to link to another stake in tandem if winds are extreme.....try to find whatever wind protection you can.......don't pitch on ridge tops.....

I've kept my 12 man tipi together is some extreme winds but the lower tents are much easier to keep from flying away. Don't go cheap on tents!

Another yes. Kifaru sell their Snow, Sand, and Tundra (SST) pins in two sizes, 18" and 32", they are a good example of what you could need.

OP
O
That was my thinking. Thanks for the confirmation. That seems like something someone could easily overlook.

Everywhere I've been in Alaska I couldn't get an 18" stake in the ground. Even the tundra areas have been mostly underlain with rocks. The surface is spongy and moist but less than 12" below starts the hard strata. The best stakes I've personally used are the MSR Hurricane model. If you have decent rocks nearby I highly recommend weighting your stakes in windy areas. A 12+ pound stone on top of the stake will help prevent that slow working loose which happens in prolonged winds.

Everywhere I've been in Alaska I couldn't get an 18" stake in the ground. Even the tundra areas have been mostly underlain with rocks. The surface is spongy and moist but less than 12" below starts the hard strata. The best stakes I've personally used are the MSR Hurricane model. If you have decent rocks nearby I highly recommend weighting your stakes in windy areas. A 12+ pound stone on top of the stake will help prevent that slow working loose which happens in prolonged winds.
Are these the same as the cyclone stakes? I did a search for the hurricane model but couldn’t find it. I experienced the same this this year in Alaska with all the rock under the tundra

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Long red spiral stakes 10-12" long are ideal (1/2" diam). I think these are MSR but not sure of the style. In the SW open country winds can feel strong. I use a military stake from army surplus store to secure my meat shelter/tarp.

Are these the same as the cyclone stakes? I did a search for the hurricane model but couldn’t find it. I experienced the same this this year in Alaska with all the rock under the tundra
Yes, I'm an idiot. MSR Cyclone Stake.

WMR

FNG
The folks advising the cyclone stakes are right. Take nothing shorter. Been there twice with a SO 8 man tipi and both times I wasn’t sure it would stand . It did, but the shorter stakes did pull out. Take some extra for tandem use as Vern mentioned. If weight limits allow, consider a few of the military stakes as well. I bought a lifetime supply of the orange ones and they are great. It’s hard to describe the feeling of being uncertain your tent will stand, while knowing no help is coming if things go bad. My backup tent is now a Hilleberg.

WMR

FNG
Forgot to add, I also put a short length of stout shock cord at the stake for my guyout lines. I think they handle gusts better. Tying off to a small willow works even better. Also as suggested, choose your site carefully. A small willow thicket shield can cut the winds tremendously,

USMC2602

WKR
Based on where we were this year, the Kifaru SST stakes saved the day. I had 4 of the longer and 8 of the shorter, kept our 8 man tight. Those mixed with the MSR cyclones were the ticket. No rocks, etc., to be had. Did tie off to some willows as well.

mooster

WKR
10" cyclones are great for either tundra or mossy areas that don't offer much bite. plan B, add rocks