Rangefinder help...!!

Todai16

FNG
Hello everyone. I am in search of a good rangefinder to take on an Elk trip to SE WY this fall. I don't have much money to spend but I'm thinking a good rangefinder, my Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and the 300WM (3-9x40 VX1 scope) should be enough to get me by. It's my first time Elk hunting so my main goal is to have fun, enjoy the trip, and hopefully loose my Elk hunting virginity...lol, sorry. Anyway, been lurking the classified and CL for a while and been eyeing these 3 rangefinders on CL. If anyone has inputs on any of these rangefinders, please share. Thank you

Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA $300

Vortex Ranger 1000 $300

Nikon Prostaff 7i 1300yd. $250

All these are brand new in boxes. I've researched all three and these prices are below average prices on the market so they are definitely good prices but maybe someone can share their first hand experience. Thank you

WOOD5045

FNG
I upgraded from the Bushnell to the Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA and I am very happy with the Leupold.

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
I upgraded from the Bushnell to the Leupold RX-1000i TBR with DNA and I am very happy with the Leupold.

WOOD5045, is the Leupold easy to use? Like press button once, turn on, press again, range? I heard Vortex takes a bit of time but I'm not 100% sure cause I only read about it. Anyone with Vortex Ranger 1000 confirm this? Thanks. Also what you think about these prices?

WOOD5045

FNG
Sorry, I just confirmed and I have the Leupold RX-1200i TBR W/DNA. Got it on sale at Cabelas about 4 months ago for $319.

Yes, it's very easy to use but so was my Bushnell. The Leupold has better glass (brighter) and seems to process a touch faster. I also tested the Leica CRF 1000-R. It had great glass but sometimes processed slower than I liked.

I was looking for an illuminated reticle so that factored into my decision on which rangefinder to go with.

AGPank

WKR
I have the vortex. It does take 3 presses to range. The optics are clear, but seem to have a blue tinge. They are one of the few companies who warrant the entire device with their no fault warranty. My experience is that it's accurate for rifles, but sometimes on the archery range (marked 3D) some dark animals would give readings up to 3 yards off. I haven't had any hunting situations cause any problems.

The vortex replaced an older Leica crf 900. The Leica still is very accurate and has better optic clarity.

I don't have experience with the others, but read many positive reviews of the Leopold.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Out of the options listed the Leupold is the best by a decently wide margin. I've had the opportunity to use all three of them.

But if you have the scratch then bump up to a Leica CRF.

Firehawk

WKR
I currently have a Leica Scan LRF1200 that is terrific, but bulky. It is extremely reliable and very effective. That said, as an archer, I needed something that works with one hand which the older square Leica was tough to do. So...I began heading down the road of a smaller unit that would reliably range with Inclination correction and could be held in one hand. I started with the Nikon Rifle 1000 and it was a decent unit, but I didn't care for the reddish/orangish hue backlighting that it used during the low light times. I switched to a Vortex Ranger 1000 and I really enjoyed that unit for the said purpose. Optics were clear, display was good and adjustable and it was easy to hold.

Using it in bright snow while hunting cow elk with a rifle this winter, I learned it didn't range effectively under some conditions at long range. That said, for archery it was really good. I wish it wouldn't have been as slow as it was and you didn't have to push the button three times. I know that that was getting pretty picky.

A month ago I bought a Sig Kilo 2000 and it seems really terrific. I think that it is a great option but it is a little out of your price range.

Have fun and enjoy!

boom

WKR
I have both a Nikon and the vortex. I don't love the vortex. I bought it used CHEAP! Probably because they were defective. I sent them back and got a new set. No charge. Do if you are buying them used, that is the single best reason to. The warranty/service dept is super. I still use my beater Nikon. It's an archery model, only 100 yard max. But my friends is similar in every way.

My vortex is also my most inaccurate one. I can line up five guys and all of them will get the same reading and mine will be 1-2 yards short. Okay? Yes. Annoying? Yes.

Mine has never been in the field and is my backup only.
I'll buy a Leica soon
My only complaint about the Leupold. The button is very loud. My brothers I can hear him take read. Prolly a non issue.

OP
T

Todai16

FNG
Thank you all for great insights and first hand experiences. I think I will be getting the Leupold. Hopefully I can get it lower than $300 listed price on CL. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

kodiakfly

WKR
I had a Leupold Full Draw, had some issues with it and Leupold wouldn't even return my emails. I was a Leupold fan until that. Rangefinder broke, couldn't get it taken care of, bought a Vortex and have been happy with it the past two years.

AGPank

WKR
You replaced your CRF with a Vortex? I bought the CRF right after they came out, and I use mine year round. Great RF.

I was wrong. I have an old LRF 800. It's big and clunky compared to the vortex, but still a good unit. No angle compensation either.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I held the vortex and leupold 1200 next to each other and the 1200 is definitely faster... maybe only a split second but it is noticeable. I thought the 1000 has been replaced by the 1200 so you might keep that in mind. Also, Leupold doesn't offer the same gold ring warranty on their RF's as they do on their scopes whereas I think someone already mentioned the vortex has a lifetime warranty. The vortex does take three clicks to range where the 1200 only takes two. The vortex does have a dimmer on the display which is nice in darker conditions. the 1200 is almost too bright at dawn and dusk. It is just right during sunny conditions so I am not sure the dimmer is worth much. I just couldn't see always adjusting it for light conditions. Lastly, the vortex does have a threaded bottom port for a tripod. That would be useful at the range I guess. I went with the 1200 when cabelas ran a sale on them right before last season... $300ish.

Loco4dux

WKR
The Leupold RX-1200i TBR with DNA Laser Rangefinder is on sale at Cabela's for 50 bucks off right now down from 400 to $350. Thinking about pulling the trigger on it with some club points to burn.

ElkNut1

WKR
Vortex has come out with a Ranger 1500, it takes two clicks & is said to be lightning fast! I should have some in a week or so! It does have angle comp throughout all distances. Just a heads up! We here use 5 of the 1000's & do not see a blue tint at all, not sure where that comes from? Leupold makes a good product, I had the RX 1200 at one time.

ElkNut1