Run tracker/MP3 player

jwatts

WKR
I am looking for something so I can listen to MP3s and track my run. My current MP3 player crapped out on me last night. I currently use an older Nike Plus band to track my runs. Is there something similar out there that will do both? It doesn't have to be a band. I am looking for something that will track my run, preferably off of the Nike Plus pod or by strides as long as it is accurate. Bluetooth capability would be a plus so I could use some bluetooth headphones. I like the idea of the GPS watches, but honestly I wouldn't use it enough outside of running to justify the cost.

I am not totally against using my phone since I know it will do all of the things I want it to do. I am not sure how accurate it would be measuring stride with it strapped to my arm. I could use a GPS based running app and be accurate as well. I keep my phone in a Magpul case, so anything that would strap the phone to my arm for running would be pretty dang big and I am not sure if I would like that or not. I may give it a shot, but I would like to hear what you guys are using for running.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
RunKeeper app on my phone works well. It won't give you stride, but GPS appears to be accurate. Can even track mileage on shoes which helps give you an idea when you need to replace them based on number of miles you want to put on any given pair. Free version is sufficient for me otherwise they offer discounts on annual subscription. Otherwise your looking at a running watch, some offer built in MP3 player. Check out rizknows.com for reviews. Hope this helps.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
RunKeeper app on my phone works well. It won't give you stride, but GPS appears to be accurate. Can even track mileage on shoes which helps give you an idea when you need to replace them based on number of miles you want to put on any given pair. Free version is sufficient for me otherwise they offer discounts on annual subscription. Otherwise your looking at a running watch, some offer built in MP3 player. Check out rizknows.com for reviews. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will give that site and app a look. Due to my work about half of my runs are on a treadmill. I may just see how accurate my phone is with the strides and use the GPS on outside runs. It looks like the only way to do what I want to do would be with an iPod and the Nike Plus pod on my shoe. If I have to go to that extreme I would rather use my phone I think. It would be great if someone offered something similar to the Fitbit with MP3 capabilities.

4ester

WKR
I use MapMyFitness on my iPhone. Doesn't track stride so won't track you on the dread mill. I use Pandora for music.

Last edited: