Rear Bag/Rest - Backpack Hunting

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nice rear bag but its heavy, and while I have taken it backpacking, I would prefer something lighter. What are you guys using for a rear bag? I shoot long range so want something now so I can get some lead down range with it and comfortable before hunting season starts....

I typically use my binoculars covered with a glove as a rear bag. When I am ready to shoot I don't need those items at the moment and always have them with me anyway.

Short Action Precison: SAP Run n' Gun Bag

http://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/sap-run-n-gun-bag

Lightweight - Only 6.5 oz!
Perfect size for easy carry
Dimensions 7" x 4.5" x 3"
Low, Mid, and High Position
Strap to loop around rifle with QD Buckle
Tether for adding a sling swivel or flush cup swivel
Rubber skin on bottom for grip
1000 Denier Cordura material
Double wall construction for durability
Available in Coyote, Multicam, OD, Black, ATACS AU & ATACS FG
Made in USA

Shotgun

FNG
ESC Dynamic Gear

http://escdynamicgear.storenvy.com/products

I run there products for competition and I had em make me a ultra light rear bag for hunting. The bag weighs practically nothing. Used it last year on my deer and elk hunts, way better than packing around my heavy poly bead bags. Ethan the owner is a great guy.

OP
N

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
ESC Dynamic Gear

http://escdynamicgear.storenvy.com/products

I run there products for competition and I had em make me a ultra light rear bag for hunting. The bag weighs practically nothing. Used it last year on my deer and elk hunts, way better than packing around my heavy poly bead bags. Ethan the owner is a great guy.

Do you know what the weight is on it? And which bag did you go with (Leech, Large or Barricade)?

Shotgun

FNG
It was a custom bag of my specs. I don't have a weight on it, but it's hard to imagine it being more than few oz. the plastic beaner is half the weight. When I get a chance I can weight it

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my sit pad which is a thermarest z lite. You can fold it up to any height you want and it is pretty darn solid.

Randy

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Got a sniper buddy that just uses a sock filled with airsoft bb's. He swears by it, haven't tried it myself though.

I use a DIY bag filled with air soft BB's. I HIGHLY recommend the BB's. They squish around and work great but when you squeeze the bag it's like they all lock together and it is crazy solid. My bag is 8"x5" and works for any situation I've thrown at it. And I think it was like $6 to make. I'm gonna go weigh it.

My bag weighs 12 oz, but could easily be shrunk down and still be very effective. I will most likely build a smaller one now that I know how much this one weighs.

OP
N

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the update! What did you make your bag out of? And you mentioned 8x5, but how thick is it?

I made it out of a canvas sort of material that I picked up at Joann Fabrics. The specs were 8"x5"x2". I honestly don't know if it's 2" or not, but that seems about right. It's just two 8x5 pieces sewn together and then filled. I made like 4 of them and used two tubs of BB's, to give you an idea of how much you'll need. Even the sock idea would work great. To me it doesn't matter what you put them in, but the BB's are the hot ticket. I can't describe it any better but the bag locks in place when you start applying pressure to it. I haven't shot a lot of rear bags but I haven't ever found this amount of control in anything else I have used.

Also, I run a bit of a light fill, which enables me to fold the bag in half if necessary. It's amazing how versatile a rectangular bag of BB's can be really. Fold it up, lay it on it's side, lay it down flat... It works any way I could want it to.