Anyone from California hunt elk ???

Is it me or does everyone come from the east coast to hunt elk ? I guess the Oregon and Washington guys have good elk numbers to hunt but what about California ? We have all 3 species of elk but your looking at 15-20 yrs to pull a bull tag for a resident, I think a cow tag is more or less 5-10 yrs. I don't think I want to wait till I'm dead to pull a tag again.

Just seeing if anyone is out there and if we should get together and share some stories or throw some sticks or bullets down range.
Maybe even throw some packs on and get some high sierra trout for our campfire dinner.

Shout it out,

Tobias

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on heading east to hunt elk this year for the first time this September.

Is it me or does everyone come from the east coast to hunt elk ? I guess the Oregon and Washington guys have good elk numbers to hunt but what about California ? We have all 3 species of elk but your looking at 15-20 yrs to pull a bull tag for a resident, I think a cow tag is more or less 5-10 yrs. I don't think I want to wait till I'm dead to pull a tag again.

Just seeing if anyone is out there and if we should get together and share some stories or throw some sticks or bullets down range.
Maybe even throw some packs on and get some high sierra trout for our campfire dinner.

Shout it out,

Tobias

Where you located

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
I love to hunt Elk...when I can grab a tag... Ive drawn 2 tags in my life time...one in Utah and just last year in Az...here is my bull from last year in Az....speaking of Az...dont forget to get those apps in!!!

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 87

brn2hnt

WKR
I too love to hunt elk. Not too picky on where. I usually hunt CO, but tried some new country in ID last year, looking at WY and CO again this year, plus swinging for the fence in NM and ID. Building pts in CO, AZ, UT, and NV. Probably looking to general archery permits in MT in the future.

Also get a rifle cow tag that runs from mid august to late november in Oregon as well if time permits.

Where abouts in CA are you located?

Marshal

FNG
Drew a FHL tag a few years back. Been on a hunt each of the past four years at FHL. ACTIVE DUTY mIlitary and retirees have a good draw percentage. Got an Idaho archery tag for this year. First time trying archery with elk. Should be fun just hope my daughter draws an active duty tag at FHL this year.
Marshal

Beendare

WKR
Been hunting elk for over 30 years with a bow....i'm in the east bay....my daughter goes to college down by you in Palo Alto.

Hit those mt madonna or black mtn shoots that start up pretty soon and you will run into some good hunters...the 3d shoots are great. If you need help with anything give me a shout....though i don't hit this forum much.

choovhntr

WKR
I'm in the east bay as well. I'll be going to Oregon this year for my second archery elk hunt while building points in other states.

Bughalli

WKR
I live in the Bay area on the Peninsula. I try to hunt elk every year, but it doesn't always work out depending on work, kids and other hunts. CA elk hunting is a long wait for marginal elk. I still put in, but don't expect to ever draw. I've archery hunted NM, Idaho and CO so far. I'll probably head back to CO unless I draw a good tag in another state.

Looking to hunt MT or ID in the next couple of years. Work and a 3 yr. old make it tough to get away. Buddy drew the Cache Creek Bull tag a few years ago with only a point or two. Was a quick sweet hunt. We put in now, but I don't have high hopes of drawing a tag in Ca.

id450

WKR
Another orcutt / Santa Barbara county guy here. I've been on one rifle hunt years ago in Colorado and archery last year in Idaho. I have no idea what I'm Doing other then learning all I can and being a good student. Idaho was great and I learned a ton. I'll be out there for sure this year in Colorado or Idaho.