Pack riding to high?

socalhntr

WKR
Just got the Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 tall frame. I have adjusted it every which way but rides high and if I slightly tilt my head back it hits the pack which is annoying. In the pic I have it sitting lower on my hips than I like with about 30#. I like the way packs fit with the hip belt running center of my iliac crest. No matter what I do the frame rides high. Will going with the regular frame make a difference?
20160211_174632.jpg

That's a unique feature added for the benefit of California hunters because we have so many mt. lions here. It'll keep em from sinking their canines into your neck. <g>

cascwild.org-1.jpg

Last edited:

Xtreme007

WKR
I had same problem with my Pack. Ended up I had it adjusted to high. Had to lengthen the torso adjustments.

bpctcb

WKR
I think the problem is with those long stays/the frame; they angle forwards towards your head. If they are aluminum then bend about the top 6" of the stays back at least 15 degrees away from you head. If they aren't aluminum they I think you're out of luck.

BP

OP
socalhntr

socalhntr

WKR
Bruce thats hilarious! I was thinking the same thing. I have adjusted up and down and same outcome unless the hip belt rides very low which is uncomfortable for me. My buddy with the same build and his 7200 does not ride that high.

I think the problem is with those long stays/the frame; they angle forwards towards your head. If they are aluminum then bend about the top 6" of the stays back at least 15 degrees away from you head. If they aren't aluminum they I think you're out of luck.

BP

It's a Kuiu pack, it is carbon fiber. It looks like you have the shoulder straps cinched down too tight. Loosen the shoulder staps and tighten the load lifters. You may have to slide the chest strap down and the load lifter attachment to the shoulder straps might need to go forward.

LaHunter

WKR
Why not just get the regular frame if the tall size frame is too tall???
Yes, getting the regular size frame will make a difference, it is about 2" shorter I think.

bhylton

WKR
i have the same pack. like has been said you need to make the torso longer. loosen the lifter and shoulder straps, lengthen the torso which will move the pack down then re tighten your straps. your might need to move where the load lifter contacts your shoulder once your adjust it

OP
socalhntr

socalhntr

WKR
Yout right 5miles. I have tried that. Vottimlune is U need the regular. Their CS said go with the tall and if doesnt fit exchange it which I will do this week.

What is Kuiu's recomendation for frame size and individual height/torso length etc? Can't see anything on the Kuiu site about frame sizing.

What is Kuiu's recomendation for frame size and individual height/torso length etc? Can't see anything on the Kuiu site about frame sizing.

Frame SizeRegularTall
Torso Length
Inch15 - 1717.5 - 22
Centimeters38.1 - 43.244.5 - 56

Hip BeltS/ML/XL
Fits waist sizeLess than 34"34" and over

From my experience, the tall is a little generous and I would say it doesn't do too well over 19 or 20.

Frame SizeRegularTall
Torso Length
Inch15 - 1717.5 - 22
Centimeters38.1 - 43.244.5 - 56

Hip BeltS/ML/XL
Fits waist sizeLess than 34"34" and over

From my experience, the tall is a little generous and I would say it doesn't do too well over 19 or 20.
Thanks. Being an 18 inch torso puts me in the middle of that. I found the sizing in the kuiu blog about pack introductions.