Justice Scalia RIP

This is more than sad, potentially deadly to the Constitution. Look at Obama's last two nominees!

Bkaufmann

FNG
I feel horrible that a man dies and i'm more worried about who gets the nod after him.

This right here could be just as important as whoever is elected president next.

1hoda

Banned
Antonin Scalia loved the US Constituion and respected it deeply as the law of the land. I always think of his " the Constitution is Dead!, Dead!, Dead!" speech. God rest his soul. Agreed with every point made above. I trust the silver lining is this will be a wake-up call for conservatives to vote in November.

Trial153

WKR
Terrible news. Scalia was someone to admire in every respect. He embodied the rule of law and the constitution.

This changes everything political for 2016.

Mike7

WKR
Great man for sure in many ways. In addition to being brilliant, meticulous, very personable, etc. as he is often descibed, it was refreshing that he actually believed in the Constitution and its original intent and wisdom when applying the law, and welcomed people to change the Constitution if that is what they wanted to do, rather than legislating from the bench based upon how theythe judges would have written the Constitution had it been their choice.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, this is absolutely terrible news. Just got in from shed hunting and heard this. He was a great judge and it appears that he died at a hunting venue. Ya gotta like that......! I would hope that he would be replaced by someone like him although I don't think that is going to happen. RIP Antonin and prayers for your family.

Randy

RdRdrFan

WKR
RIP to a great man and a true patriot and hero for our country.

All I hope for is that our legislative branch grows a pair and doesn't confirm another activist judicial hack.

Shrek

WKR
His death is a disaster for this country. I can only hope the Senate will not confirm a new appointee until after the election. Another Obama appointment would be the end of any 2nd amendment protections and the constitution really would become toilet paper.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For the life of me I cannot figure out how politics ever even come into the question of Supreme Court appointees. There is really only ONE requirement for the job: To FULLY support the Constitution and rule accordingly from that. Just like our Presidential nominees and past Presidents, how on earth can they even be considered IF THEY DON'T MEET A SIMPLE REQUIREMENT. That isn't even an option, yet not only do they run......they get elected by our illustrious illiterate illogical voter base.

If we are going to elect traitors and the traitors are going to appoint more traitors to the SC.......and then these traitors are going to just rule on "opinion", "political clout", or "however they feel like", then medical boards should just start awarding anyone and everyone medical licenses to practice medicine however they want.

One simple requirement.......and yet the majority of the time they seem to bypass that simple requirement. Yet another reason why we absolutely HAVE to elect a Constitutionalist to the White House. Otherwise, we're done circling the drain......we'll actually be in the drain.

God Bless you, Justice Scalia. You will be greatly missed.

I actually posted over on AT a few months ago that I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the Justices were to die in Obama's last year in office. Then my post was removed.

Redmech

FNG
For the life of me I cannot figure out how politics ever even come into the question of Supreme Court appointees. There is really only ONE requirement for the job: To FULLY support the Constitution and rule accordingly from that. Just like our Presidential nominees and past Presidents, how on earth can they even be considered IF THEY DON'T MEET A SIMPLE REQUIREMENT. That isn't even an option, yet not only do they run......they get elected by our illustrious illiterate illogical voter base.

If we are going to elect traitors and the traitors are going to appoint more traitors to the SC.......and then these traitors are going to just rule on "opinion", "political clout", or "however they feel like", then medical boards should just start awarding anyone and everyone medical licenses to practice medicine however they want.

One simple requirement.......and yet the majority of the time they seem to bypass that simple requirement. Yet another reason why we absolutely HAVE to elect a Constitutionalist to the White House. Otherwise, we're done circling the drain......we'll actually be in the drain.

I actually posted over on AT a few months ago that I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the Justices were to die in Obama's last year in office. Then my post was removed.

Well said

tstowater

WKR
I personally prefer that we have a Supreme Court without a political Bend, but rather one that understands and respects the Constitution as the polestar that it is. A balanced court without any predisposition other than following the Constitution is what we need. Don't be surprised if an existing Justice "rebalances" the Court, IMHO.

I agree fully the USSC should be non-partisan. They have one job-interpret the Constitution. Sitting presidents stacking the deck, left or right, isn't how it should be. However, as a living document, the Constitution needs interpretation. Unless all of our justices are robots, they will lean one way or the other. Can't avoid that. Just as it shouldn't be okay for Obama to add a liberal judge, probably shouldn't have been okay for Reagan to add Scalia as a conservative judge.

Absolute power breeds absolute corruption. If you are not ethically corrupt it is difficult to grasp how this happens. So you are not ethically corrupt. But most politicians are. Everytime they vote for something they haven't read, or pay increase or exclude themselves from something (like Obamacare) that they impose on the rest of us...they are acting corruptly.

And while I too feel somewhat "pained" by the instant political slant resulting from this man's death...it demonstrates the amazing importance of his life to every American. He was a firewall for freedom and that just collapsed. Do not underestimate Obama...that dirty MFer may find a way. I never expected Obamacare to get this far either.

RdRdrFan

WKR
I agree fully the USSC should be non-partisan. They have one job-interpret the Constitution. Sitting presidents stacking the deck, left or right, isn't how it should be. However, as a living document, the Constitution needs interpretation. Unless all of our justices are robots, they will lean one way or the other. Can't avoid that. Just as it shouldn't be okay for Obama to add a liberal judge, probably shouldn't have been okay for Reagan to add Scalia as a conservative judge.

While the Supreme Court should be non-partisan, it is not. If we only had Supreme Court Justices that went by the Constitution then it would be viewed as a highly conservative Court. Ignoring the Constitution and legislating from the bench is a tell-tale sign of a liberal justice. With that said, I don't agree that Reagan shouldn't had appointed Scalia. He was a great Supreme Court Justice who did his sworn duty in that role.....unlike many of the others.