Twists in string

Ben

WKR
First off, Im brand new to traditional archery...

While fine tuning a new PSE classic takedown, I noticed that the brace height was 1.5 inches too short. It took 28 twists in the string to bring it to the proper length. Now, when I take the string off, it coils up on itself. Does this sound normal? I do keep my bow strung most the time so could there be some stretching?

tater

WKR
Strings will stretch out in the first couple of weeks (some materials more than others). When i am breaking in new strings i leave the bow strung with the new string for five days before i even set nock height and install silencers.
Twenty-eight twists for an inch and a half of brace height seems like a lot (i usually gain about a half inch for three or four twists).

A string coiling on itself evenly (not in just one particular spot) isn't horrible. It may be good next time you get a string to order lower stretch material or go a half inch ASL (actual string length) shorter. Just remember to keep it really well waxed, as the inner tension of the twists cause huge friction in the string bundles which eventually lead to strand failure.

If you aren't shooting that bow at least once a week, don't leave it strung. Leaving bows strung up made of glass are fine, but only as long as they are being used regularly.

LostArra

WKR
I'm less patient than tater. After I make a string I hang it overnight with a 80-100 pound dumbbell, weight depending on the number of other geezers I can recruit to pick it up.

28 twists sounds like a lot for a new fast flight string to get the proper brace height especially with the coiling up issue

OP
B

Ben

WKR
It only coils when I take off. I'm beginning to think I need a new string. Thank you all for your input!

LostArra

WKR
hey Ben: why don't you measure your string with it uncoiled but still slightly twisted like IdahoElk mentioned.
Stretch it out flat on a table top.
I may have a flemish twist string around here that's a little shorter and would work. Or at least get you in the ball park on proper length.
Most recurve strings are about 4" shorter than the AMO length of the bow.

Bow length? Draw weight?

OP
B

Ben

WKR
So I finally got to ensuring my string. When I took the string off, it only easily uncoiled 8 times.

The bow is a 45 pound PSE classic take down with a 7 inch brace height and the string is 59 inches.

Thanks!

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
I would wager that your bow is 62", and your string is about an inch to long.