DIY POW Blacktail

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Long shot here, but I'm looking at doing a DIY Blacktail hunt on POW. Never hunted Blacktail before but want to give it a shot. I chose POW because I can fly there relatively cheap and easy. That being said; should I try and fly in to an alpine lake? or drive/hike in? Without asking for too much info, is anyone willing to share some advice on a general area to hunt along with some tactics? I can spare about 7 days boots on the ground and will take a bow and a rifle.

Fly to Ketchikan, rent a truck, hop on Ferry to Hollis and access hunting areas via logging roads. Set up a camp where ever you'd like and spike out for a day or so at a time if you'd like. I did this is 2013 and it was a great time.

Is there Brown bears on POW Island? I know there was none on Petersburg when I was there.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Hey thanks Nick Muche. That's pretty much exactly what I was wanting to know.. I'm not looking for a huge deer, just want to chase after blacktail and it seems like POW would be a cheap and easy way to do go about that. I will most likely have 2 or 3 buddies with so we split the cost of the rental/ferry and we would be good.

I've done this hunt a couple times, but it was years ago. Both times we flew into Ketchikan, took the ferry over to the island, and rented a vehicle from Wilderness Car Rental (I think that's what they're called). One time
We rented a 1 ton Ford 4x4 dually crew cab with a 11' cab over camper. It sure was nice to come back to a heated fully contained camper after spending all day hunting in the November rain.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
We did this hunt last year. POW is some of the coolest country in tge US in my opinion. Take some fishing gear I'm gonna go back just to fish some day. We struck out on killing bucks but had a ton of fun. PM me and I can tell you what I thought we did wrong in my post hunt assessment.

Whodat78

FNG
Did this hunt last year with my buddy and our wives. We went with Thorne Bay Lodge to make it a little more comfortable. Because the vehicle is included with the Thorne Bay Lodge package we flew over on a Beaver. The price for the flight was very reasonable and we were able to explore the same day rather than spending hours on the ferry. http://www.thornebaylodge.com/hunting

Great experience. Hitting the rut at the right time makes all the difference. It was like someone flipped a switch the day that first doe came in.
POW is an awesome place, can't wait to get back! I didn't think there was better eating than Dall Sheep until we had Blacktail...