Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Back Country Editor Aron Snyder's Avatar

Stone Glacier and Kifaru

I've had several people ask me about doing a review on the Stone Glacier pack and compare it to a Kifaru. As most of you know, I help with the design and marketing for Kifaru and doing a review of the SG packs would make people ask how honest the review would be.

So to keep things as equal/fair as possible, I talked with Kurt (owner of Stone Glacier) a few hours ago and he we agreed that we should have the review done by someone that had not used either pack and would give an honest opinion at the same time.

The best choice for this comparison was Bitterroot Bulls (Matt Cashell). Matt has not used either pack and is very thorough with his reviews. Matt has also been backpack hunting for a long time and knows what's needed on a pack for this type of system.

Kurt will have his second generation packs available in January, so to give Matt enough time behind each pack we are planning on posting this in Mid February.

If you have question about either packs, you can contact me at anytime and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Hope this satisfies everyone!

Aron

720-937-1418

Great call Aron, you couldn't have picked a better third party either. Well besides me! Just kidding.

Looking very forward to the reviews, I will be in market for a new pack in the spring, this one looks promising.

Good call on finding a third party reviewer.

I look forward to seeing the review.
    Paradox Packs
    Performance Driven Backpacks

Nice
    The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind.

Looking forward to hearing how they stack up.

Cool. I would still hold your review in high regard. Looking forward to hearing about these new packs. Even if they do not compete with kifaru, it is good for other companies to keep pushing so the best keep getting better.

Great idea. Bitterroot does great reviews and if I'm not mistaken he uses a kuiu icon pack so not only will we all get his opinion on how the stone glacier and kifaru packs stack up against each other but also where he feels the icon pack measures up. Looking forward to it!

Back Country Editor Aron Snyder's Avatar
    On a side note.......

Bitterroot Bulls and RosinBag will be doing a hardcore comparative review between Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Doughnuts...stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Aron Snyder View Post
    On a side note.......

Bitterroot Bulls and RosinBag will be doing a hardcore comparative review between Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Doughnuts...stay tuned!
    Now this is one I am looking forward to!!

Aron, you are right on the money with Matt, I think he is one of the best at giving reviews. Looking forward to this, thanks.

I am really excited to see these packs! I am currently brainstorming test ideas and roksliders should feel free to post their ideas right here on this thread!

On a side note.......

I will have to defer to Doug's extensive experience and rigorous training regimen.

On a side note.......

Come on Everybody loves dunkin haha

Don't discount the yum yum doughnuts! Also looking forward to the review.

Well Matt, it's not a real pack test unless you roll it down a rock slide and off a cliff.
    Next, walk through the thickest, sharpest branches you can find and see if the material holds up.
    Next, hose them down with a water hose and see how much water gets inside.
    Next, throw 110 lbs of meat in there and start hiking. Report after the first 5 miles and after the second 5 miles.
    Next, take it to a pressure washer and spray the crap out of it to get the blood out and see how it holds up.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal.
    Making mistakes is part of bowhunting.
    Thatís how you learn, and why archery-killed elk are so darn special.

Big Thanks to Stone Glacier and Kifaru! Matt has some great Idea's for this review. Can't wait to see the write up.

Do a lean test with the same amount of weight in the packs. A serious lean test. With a padded floor. See where the center of gravity takes you with the pack.

Maybe a sit test. Sitting down and getting back up. Just for convenience purposes when your hiking in and out. Everytime I take a breather I typically have to ungear because the weight doesn't allow for me to sit and then stand.

This is a great idea, thanks Aaron, Matt, and Kurt for setting this up.

I too would like to hear your opinion. We all love our Kifaru packs, so it will not make me sell one to get the other, but maybe buy my Kifaru a garage mate .
    Git ur dun!

I'm really looking forward to the review since i am debating between these two as my upgrade to my eberlestock. I can't wait to finally have functional load lifters.