Stone Glacier and Kifaru

That Stone Glacier pack would be sweet for hauling body armor around base between PAX terminals and customer sites when I am out FOB hopping around AFG! $600 is a bunch to spend for something that would get tossed in and out of helicopters and C130's though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders,

I am already getting a lot of feedback via PM and phone (how some people have found my phone number I do not know) already on this deal. I love the amount of interest!

A few things that are coming up:

1. Nobody is paying me anything to do this.
2. I don't have any brand loyalty.
3. If you are a fan of either pack and looking only for affirmation of your opinions, don't look here. This evaluation will be solely my opinion.
4. I plan on doing a lot of video of the tests, so Roksliders can see what I see.
5. I want a LOT of miles on each pack, so it is going to be a great workout too!
6. I am going to work closely with both Kurt and Aron to get the packs fitting as intended, and plan to use the packs as they were intended by design, BUT I will also use them for the uses I personally have.

I will report on:

Specs: Self-explanatory
Fit: This will be MY subjective opinion for me. Already folks are telling me if I don't like the feel of one or the other, I am doing something wrong.
Finish: Quality of worksmanship and materials.
Durability: This will be fun.
Features and performance: Likes and dislikes. Usefullness to me. This will be the bulk of the review.
Looks: Actually I don't give a shit about this. If you do, make up your own mind.
Company support: This will be all out in the open with these companies, and I will gladly discuss anything that comes up.
Other categories as they arise.

All of my opinions and conclusions are mine and mine alone. Feel free to agree or disagree as you see fit.

Keep the test ideas coming!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had 30+ years in testing many doughnuts and could be an expert. Although not affiliated, sponsored or part of any doughnut companies pro staff, I will say Dunkin beats Krispy Creme.

stephen b

WKR
I have had 30+ years in testing many doughnuts and could be an expert. Although not affiliated, sponsored or part of any doughnut companies pro staff, I will say Dunkin beats Krispy Creme.

Grew up with a DD right down the street from my house. They are still my favs. Lots of fond memories ( or maybe fuzzy memories) of stopping by DD on the way home from a night out with friends.

Slim Jim

WKR
BB, when do you plan on writing your reviews? I'm excited because I planned on buying the DT1 but I want to wait and see what you come back with. I like that the stone glacier is lighter especially because I'm stepping up the size on my spotting scope and that's more weight. I'm not getting any younger so weight is a factor

Shrek

WKR
There used to be a krispy kreme bakery down the street. They would pick the hot.doughnuts off the line as they came out of the glazing machine! OMG ! They were the bomb if you ate them right.there in the parking lot. Four hours later they were gross. Cold , dunkin doughnuts are much better than krisy kreme. Now , what were we all talking about ?

hopefully they are testing the stone glacier against the timberline since they seem the most similar, plus those are the ones I am debating on. Kurt if you get on here do you know the weight of the spotting scope pocket you are coming out with to attach to your packs?

There used to be a krispy kreme bakery down the street. They would pick the hot.doughnuts off the line as they came out of the glazing machine! OMG ! They were the bomb if you ate them right.there in the parking lot. Four hours later they were gross. Cold , dunkin doughnuts are much better than krisy kreme. Now , what were we all talking about ?

You know you're from the south when you have krispy kreme bakerys down the street!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on, looking forward to comparing notes with what Matt thought of the pack in comparison to what I find. The Gen 1 pack is a cool piece for sure and I can only imagine the Gen 2 will be only better. Keep us posted Matt for sure!!!

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Aron, Kurt,and Matt for doing this test. When you spend that kind of coin on a pack you want to know the good, bad, and the ugly. Looking forward to the reports.

which kifaru will it be evaluated against?

Same question here. Although the Timberline is the current flagship pack for Kifaru, its really more of a sophisticated, full featured pack compared to the Stone Glaciers minimalistic UL approach. Would a KU series be a better comparison, or it this flagship vs flagship?

Although those lines, which Stone Glacier pack are you testing?

Yk

a3dhunter

WKR
Same question here. Although the Timberline is the current flagship pack for Kifaru, its really more of a sophisticated, full featured pack compared to the Stone Glaciers minimalistic UL approach. Would a KU series be a better comparison, or it this flagship vs flagship?

Although those lines, which Stone Glacier pack are you testing?

Yk

Well, the Stone Glacier pack and the Timberline are both made out of 500d, wouldn't be fair to test a KU against the 500d IMO.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are still deciding what pack to send Matt for the review, but I will post up the final decision when I know.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, the Stone Glacier pack and the Timberline are both made out of 500d, wouldn't be fair to test a KU against the 500d IMO.

Who said anything about testing it against kifaru? I believe the intention was to let a person who doesn't own a kifaru test it so they can go in with a clean slate?

Pass-n-Thru

Lil-Rokslider
I only have a couple post in this forum, but most of them are around these two packs. I am going to buy one of these two. With that being said I am not bias to either pack and would be happy to test them out here in Washington State.

I am sure everyone on this site would extend the same offer. I am now holding out on which one I buy until the review!

Can't wait. Thanks.

G Posik

WKR
So which of the Stone Glacier pack will be tested? The Solo or Terminus? I own a Solo and will be very interested in seeing what others have to say.

Glenn