Stone Glacier and Kifaru

a3dhunter

WKR
Who said anything about testing it against kifaru? I believe the intention was to let a person who doesn't own a kifaru test it so they can go in with a clean slate?

Aron Snyder said:
Stone Glacier and Kifaru

I've had several people ask me about doing a review on the Stone Glacier pack and compare it to a Kifaru.

Kurt will have his second generation packs available in January, so to give Matt enough time behind each pack we are planning on posting this in Mid February.

it says "each pack".

I don't get him saying that Matt will be testing a kifaru pack out of that.

He clearly states that Matt has not used either pack and will test out both and give an honest unbiased review of them...???

There is another Stone Glacier pack thread that has this thread linked to it, which would explain the possible confusion?

Mike

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Matt will be testing/reviewing a pack from Kifaru and Stone Glacier. We (Rokslide owners, Matt and Kurt), figured this would be the best way for everyone asking questions to learn something about the packs without starting a shit storm at the same time.

This is not a "your pack sucks and my pack is awesome" type of thing, but more of a learning tool for readers.

As far as the Kifaru pack goes, Matt will be treated just like a normal customer, so fitting, options, accessories, company history and things like that will be covered. The pack we decide to give Matt will go along with his style of hunting. If that pack ends up being like the Stone Glacier (and it sounds like it will), than this will be a great comparative review for everyone.

Matt is going to do his review however he wants and from the conversations we've had, many things will be covered in the article. This will be the best learning tool for everyone and help people get an idea of how each company operates, how each pack fits and feels and what reasons he liked each pack.

The reason for testing both was simple; I am partial to Kifaru (hip belt, curved back frame, material used and function) and for me to compare these packs would not be fair to Kurt as his pack/frame is much different in design and not what I prefer.

Matt can jump in anytime, but hopefully this explains thing a little better.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This will be a head-to-head comparison review. I have always felt like comparisons gave the reader the best idea of what to expect. I will do exactly the same things with each pack. The point will be I will be acting like the normal customer to each company, and I will report on my experiences. In the field performance evaluations are a big part of that.

might as well see if anyone can send matt the version of the icon while he's at it

I have thought a lot about this, and originally thought I would make some calls to Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, and others, but I think the head-to-head between these two packs is going to be a big enough challenge for now. Adding too many packs to the pile is just going to lessen the intensity of the testing, create a longer delay before the review is finished, and create a big, bloated article that people will skip by anyway. I will get a good idea of the testing process, and I fully intend to look at different packs in a similar way in the future.

As for what pack models Stone Glacier and Kifaru send me: I will work with them on that, but I would prefer models that are closest in intended use and size.

dotman

WKR
I'm assuming Matt has a day job and I know he has a family so I'm sure we all understand that 2 packs are plenty and it'll be great to put his focus on just those for now. Looking forward to the review and hopefully people have stopped calling you, especially the ones you have no clue as to how they got your number.

a3dhunter

WKR
I'm assuming Matt has a day job and I know he has a family so I'm sure we all understand that 2 packs are plenty and it'll be great to put his focus on just those for now. Looking forward to the review and hopefully people have stopped calling you, especially the ones you have no clue as to how they got your number.
Hey, I don't have his number, can someone pm me with it......I want in on the random calling/disruptive/annoying/obnoxious cold calling of people I don't know. Especially in the middle of the night! (j/k)

I would say the biggest issue is give yourself plenty of time with the packs so you are very comfortable writing the review, and that you feel you have left nothing out. Once it is written, it will have your name on it and you don't want to look back and wish it was written differently due to lack of time.

I would like to bring something up, and that is how GREAT it is of Kurt to be willing to put his pack up for this review. For a new company (really in its infancy stages) to be willing to put up their pack head to head with a company that has been making thousands of A grade packs a year for 30+ years really shows a lot about that company.

Kurt, no matter what happens man I'm very glad you came on board for this review and comparison. Thats not an easy thing to do and to me it shows your willingness to listen to critiques and your desire to make the best pack you possibly can and to keep on improving year after year! Major cool points headed your way! :)

I'm curious Matt, when are the packs due to arrive and have you thought out a possible ETA for the review to be completed?

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Mike,

No dates yet. I will keep Roksliders updated, however. I will NOT be dragging my feet.

Well put on the kuddos to Stone Glacier!

Wrongside

WKR
I would like to bring something up, and that is how GREAT it is of Kurt to be willing to put his pack up for this review. For a new company (really in its infancy stages) to be willing to put up their pack head to head with a company that has been making thousands of A grade packs a year for 30+ years really shows a lot about that company.

Kurt, no matter what happens man I'm very glad you came on board for this review and comparison. Thats not an easy thing to do and to me it shows your willingness to listen to critiques and your desire to make the best pack you possibly can and to keep on improving year after year! Major cool points headed your way! :)

I'm curious Matt, when are the packs due to arrive and have you thought out a possible ETA for the review to be completed?

Mike
x2. Well done Kurt, and welcome!

Also, good to see Aron acknowledging the complications of a situation like this and handing it off to Matt! It only helps with the integrity of this site and the subjects/reviews that come up, IMO.

Nothing kills interest in a website quicker, for me, than shillers/associates/friends/sponsors giving biased reviews with no disclosure. Totally poser, IMO.

I look forward to the write-up!

Wrongside

WKR
Absolutely! And things like that, being open about what's out there, will help this forum grow and be around for the long haul!

Fan clubs can only grow so big, real forums are about honest exchange of stories, information and opinions. In my somewhat idealistic opinion... :)

Sorry Mike,

No dates yet. I will keep Roksliders updated, however. I will NOT be dragging my feet.

Well put on the kuddos to Stone Glacier!

Agreed, kuddos to Stone Glacier. Thanks to you also Matt. Way to cowboy up and give us your thoughts on the pack. I checked out Stone Glacier's Instructional videos, design and fitting pages on their site and I'm looking forward hearing your thoughts on it all.

Don't forget about Rokslide!

Very cool of us to let a non-sponsor get a bunch of publicity:)

Agreed too Aron. Kuddos to Rockslide in sharing the information here for us.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I'm 100% sure that no matter the outcome of the review we will all be better off for having the review. If the stone glacier is even close to the Kifaru pack in overall performance I am positive Mr Smith will be giving Aron and the rest of his team orders to make an even better pack ! Kurt will see where he is getting it right and where he is missing the mark. Rokslide is winning because inquiring minds want to know. I know I will be here to see the results and many more saleable eyes for Rokslide. There are several quality clothing companies here and I hope more than one pack company will keep a presence here also. Kurt should probably pony up some add dollars for all the buzz...this is the target market !

Last edited:

7mag.

WKR
x2. Well done Kurt, and welcome!

Also, good to see Aron acknowledging the complications of a situation like this and handing it off to Matt! It only helps with the integrity of this site and the subjects/reviews that come up, IMO.

Nothing kills interest in a website quicker, for me, than shillers/associates/friends/sponsors giving biased reviews with no disclosure. Totally poser, IMO.

I look forward to the write-up!

I love this site. Full of great people. Thanks to every one involved, in this, and other reviews. It saves a guy like me a ton of money that may other wise get spent on inferior gear.