good muzzleloader bullet??

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't ML hunted in some years. Whats a good accurate and lethal bullet? Needs to be Colorado legal. (no sabots)
50 cal. and I'd like to be in the 350ish grain area.

Thanks for any input,

BGG

I went through this last year. If you look on the first 3 pages of the forum there are a few threads talking about bullets including my experience with the Thor 300gr and knurling some .50 bullets from Barnes.

cowboy300

WKR
Look into Hornady FPB bullets. They have always preformed well out of our rifles on elk and bears and come in 300gr and 350gr. My wife shot a BIG black bear facing her at 15yds in the chest and I found the bullet caught in the skin on the far ham. That was with a mild load and 300gr bullet. Stay away from Powerbelts if you can. I have seen some bad results on elk with those. They tend to sunflower bad and not penetrate straight on anything less than perfect lung shots. I have also heard nothing but good things about Thor and NoExcuses

OP
BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I have actually shot the Hornady FPB's the last time I hunted muzzy. Seem a bit hard to load and get consistent seating?

I'll look into some of the other recommended.

Thanks guys,

dotman

WKR
I used Thor bullets last year in CO and can't complain, deer fell over dead in its tracks, bullet did what it was supposed to do.

Accuracy was a better with the Thor then the Hornady but I also had excellent accuracy out of the No Excuses. I didn't like that I had to size the hornady to fit properly. My buddy used the new Federal Core Loks and he shot at a bear, not sure if he missed or poor performance but we didn't recover or find blood so not sure if the bullet didn't perform or not.

Also Thor will send you a test pack to find the bullet size that fits your bore best from .50 - .504. I highly recommend this before ordering.

Also I hope your using BH209, nothing compares to it, I can shoot 40 rounds easy without swabbing inbetween and Modern Muzzleloading does an annual test of 50 rounds without swabbing between shots.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Thanks, I have actually shot the Hornady FPB's the last time I hunted muzzy. Seem a bit hard to load and get consistent seating?

I'll look into some of the other recommended.

Thanks guys,

Just a quick FYI on the Hornady. Remove the breach plug, then stick the bullet in the end of the barrel tip first and then push all the way down the barrel and out the breach area. This way they are sized to your barrel and will seat easy. Not the best overall for ease of use but if you look at the Hornady you'll see the back of the bullet is flared for different sizes bores. Yes not all .50 bores are the same, mine likes .501 and the Hornady will not fit at all if I do t do this process first.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
The FPB is .506. Too big for most bores, so sizing them is the only way to use them.

OP
BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick FYI on the Hornady. Remove the breach plug, then stick the bullet in the end of the barrel tip first and then push all the way down the barrel and out the breach area. This way they are sized to your barrel and will seat easy. Not the best overall for ease of use but if you look at the Hornady you'll see the back of the bullet is flared for different sizes bores. Yes not all .50 bores are the same, mine likes .501 and the Hornady will not fit at all if I do t do this process first.

Never thought of that. Good idea. thanks for the tip

dotman

WKR
Doing this engraves the rifling in the bullet. So, then when you load the bullet the right way give it a turn until you feel the rifling line up and it will push right in.

Good catch, forgot to add that part.

Bar

Banned
I wrote an article on doing this a few years ago. I never read anybody doing it before that. I also do one other thing not mentioned, but I don't want to confuse things. It's not absolutely needed, but i'm picky.

Did this last night with my Accura V2- worked like a charm!