Kuiu Kenai Pants

Anyone have these yet? I have the jacket and love it but a full leg zip synthetic pant at 8oz doesn't seem real? My Montbell downs are 8oz.

JDZ

WKR
How short? I'm 6' 2" would they come past my knees?
24.4 inch inseam. Designed to go to the top of your boots. I really wish they were at least 32-inch inseam. Even a 32 is at the top of my boots when I'm sitting.

After trying the zip-off merino bottoms, I'm totally onboard with the short inseam on them. But insulated pants would go over your boots anyway, so it's not like full-length would be a hindrance.

OP
C
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize they were cut short. This rules them out for me because I want them as an outer layer for sitting and I think they'll ride up too high.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nature of the material being breathable I believe why it's not intended to be an outer layer. I have the jacket and while I love it for its intended purpose it won't do the trick for windy glassing without a shell. You get more warmth for the weight than you do with a traditional base layer, but less convenience for on and off. Maybe more ideal for stand hunting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jherald

WKR
Kuiu shot themselves with that piece, I was excited for it until I saw it was a 3/4 length pant. Will continue to stick to the die hard Atom LT pants. If you want a light and breathable insulating layer, try the Atom LT pants Arcteryx makes.

sr80

WKR
I also wished they were longer, I can feel the cold air blowing up the legs already just thinking about them. Super down pants are an option though,

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
When I looked at them they were about an inch and a half shorter than the merino base layers. They will touch the top of your boots when worn. Don't really know why some would think your calf would be cold, its not like you tuck the Super Downs or any other pant inside your boot. I am going to give them a try when I get some extra funds as they are about 12 ounces lighter than the Mountain Hardware Compressors I have now.

jherald

WKR
When I looked at them they were about an inch and a half shorter than the merino base layers. They will touch the top of your boots when worn. Don't really know why some would think your calf would be cold, its not like you tuck the Super Downs or any other pant inside your boot. I am going to give them a try when I get some extra funds as they are about 12 ounces lighter than the Mountain Hardware Compressors I have now.

Try the Arcteryx Atom LT pants, lighter than the compressors, full side zips too.

Last edited:

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know if anyone got around to showing some pics of these pants, but I found them to be way longer than the base layer pants. They actually come down into my boots, perfect length I think. At only $99 they are a great buy, its feels just like ripping of the arms of the Kenai jacket and putting your legs through them:p At not even 8 oz I will take these over my Mountain Hardwares unless its snowing.
View attachment 38081

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know if anyone got around to showing some pics of these pants, but I found them to be way longer than the base layer pants. They actually come down into my boots, perfect length I think. At only $99 they are a great buy, its feels just like ripping of the arms of the Kenai jacket and putting your legs through them:p At not even 8 oz I will take these over my Mountain Hardwares unless its snowing.
View attachment 38081
Can't see the pic, are using them over or under regular pants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk