Kryptek Dalibor II Soft Shell Jacket Review, by Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders,
I got to try my first piece of Kryptek gear last fall- the Dalibor II Soft Shell Jacket. I spent over 20 days in it from the desert to the high country. Below is a link to my final review. If anyone else has worn the Dalibor II, chime in with your experiences.

Kryptek Dalibor II Early Season Jacket

Last edited:
Did they change their jacket cuts? I got the einar (or whatever to called basically a windproof softshell) and it fit way to tight and short on arms and not low enough. I had a first lite uncompaghre in size L under it and it came down 4 or more inches lower than the kryptek xl. I can barely wear this xl and I'm only 6'2" 200lbs. I would have returned it but I just didn't have anything else to use and they shipped just before hunting season. The material was great but just terrible fit. Hopefully they addressed this so I can get back into some kryptek gear again

Bluto

WKR
Great review - it's nice to see pluses, minuses and an overall impression.

I do have some questions, if you know. Can it be purchased without the cheesy Velcro on the arms? I'm in the military, I get the business model, but....really? I need a patch to go hunting?

I guess that leads to the second - is Kryptek keeping hunting as a priority? I'm outfitted with it now; I love the alaios pants and kratos jacket, they're fantastic. But they're getting the reputation as the "affliction shirt of the camo world" and it's almost getting embarrassing. Any insight on where Butch is taking the company?

Thanks again for the review, well done!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bluto/Pyroducks

I reached out to Kryptek on your questions, they replied right away. I just need a minute to post it, so stay tuned.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
pyroducksx3,
Here you go, right from Kryptek. Wish you could have sent it back:

"Yes we changed the Sizing on everything for 2015... we spent months on
revising everything across the board... 2016 should even be better. Thanks

Justin Sparks, Kryptek VP of Operations"

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bluto,
here you go, some pretty thorough answers:

"Our heritage & background is from extensive combat experience, bringing
battle proven technologies into the civilian world. Our slogan is
"Battlefield to Backcountry" The Velcro patch is a moral / team patch. It
still runs deep in the military & tactical world, & is something we will
continue to carry on our products. It has actually caught on in the
industry with a lot of companies & foundations like Leupold, Bowtech, Ducks
Unlimited & Wild Sheep Foundation, and others that are now creating patches
not only for clothing but packs, cases, etc... an additional benefit is
the ease of having a patch to represent companies that you may
be affiliated / sponsored by without having to embroider on expensive
clothing. Not all of our clothing comes with this feature.

Hunting has, and remains an absolute priority and major passion...With
that said, Kryptek will continue to license & co-brand with other Hunting, Military,
LE, Tactical & Lifestyle companies that create quality products. The one
thing that makes Kryptek more unique than any other civilian company is
that our patterns have been exclusively tested by the US Department
of Defense to the tune of 10 million plus to prove the effectiveness of our
patterns & they continued to be run deep into all types of Military, Tactical & LE
agencies. Even though our patterns were designed for concealment they have a shelf
appeal that cannot be denied and we will support all types of strategic
licensing opportunities.​ Our core focus is the functionality of our
patterns, expanding the hunting line and at the same time launch a Kryptek
branded combat/tactical line. *

Justin Sparks, Kryptek VP of Operations"

I'll have to see if they will take this jacket back just based on how poor it is and give credit for this new jacket. I noticed they have removed it from their 2016 line as well. Thanks for the reply Robby

Bluto

WKR
Robby - many thanks for the effort of asking the question. Sincerely appreciated!

Unfortunately, I don't think elk are much worried about the brand of my rangefinder or the dollar amount of research spent on concealment from the human eye. I've been military for 20 years and counting and understand the team function/appeal of a patch, just not while hunting game. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully kitted with Kryptek at the moment, but I think I (as a hunter) am getting side-shelved in favor of blue camo for stand up paddle boards and paintball/airsoft "gear" for folks that think that makes them a warrior. Best of luck to the brand, sincerely, I hope they make a mint. On the good side, I wish there were options out there as I'm looking that offered the pocket features of the Alaios pant; and the Kratos jacket is spot on in insulation fill, compressibility, comfort and fit. Home run designs that aren't really available anywhere else (especially the small calf pockets on the pants - undoubtedly from the military background.)

Again, thanks very much for the info and question asked, as well as the effort of a response from Kryptek. Best of luck from a fellow military guy with extensive experience.

mcseal2

WKR
I had this jacket until it was stolen along with my vehicle a week ago. I really liked the jacket with only two minor complaints. My Kryptek jackets, this and the Aquillo, are a bit shorter than I like. When standing and moving it's no problem but when sitting it or bending moving through timber they can ride up a little and let a draft in. Second complaint is that the zipper can be uncomfortable against my neck, especially with a few days of stubble, if not wearing a base layer or something else under it with a tall enough collar.

I haven't decided if I'm replacing it with another like it or trying something new. The hood on the Dalibor II is awesome, didn't cut peripheral vision and was warm. It's a great jacket I but I wouldn't mind something a bit longer. Might try the Kuiu DCS guide or Sitka Jetstream and see if I like them better.

Last edited:
the dalibor 2 jacket has been my favorite layer. the addition of pit zips and hood over previous model and fabric is a huge improvement. i like the pocket layout and breathability of fabric paired with the pit zips. the fabric works well with a dwr product added such as revivex for repelling light moisture ie wet brush and light rain for short periods of time. even though the fabric does good work with internal moisture dispurtion imop pit zips belong on all coats other than insulation type like the aquillo. the ability to dump heat quickly is a must for me just as i like to open the windows on my truck not just ac.....with new fabrics today companys claim they breath just as well and pit zips are not needed providing weight savings, really? absolutely never will be the same as feeling the mass of air by unzipping pit zips the added weight is minimal compared to the ability to dump heat quickly in a controlled manner and imop unzipping the front zip is not the same........ one of my complaints from mountain hardwear as well, i use there product for other activities. the fabric has far less sheen than previous versions witch has been my biggest complaint when doing my own tests on the mtn in there products. i can layer under and over this jacket no problem and length of arms is right for me at least not too long not too short, works well with my bow etc.... i like the length overall..... unlike other posters above i like the ability for patches on there products, at first i thought it was a bit over the top but changed my mind and utilized it for self personality to be added, personal moral, things of interest that with a quick glance when on the mtn a reminder or thought enters mind to bring back composure or whatever it means to you. its not for the game nor for others or a check me out kinda thing just for me imop.... overall i would purchase this jacket again. im 5'8'' 172lb size L

After the last two post I think the cuts are still off and sized for shorter guys, unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be getting back into kryptek, insert sad face. At 5'8" I could see how my jacket would fit some ok but at 6'2" I'm like a 4yr old still wearing last year's Jammies. Also the spin that the kryptek rep put on it was good but really licencing to high quality outdoor companies? I don't think killic falls into that category and that's all I can find in kryptek anymore besides the Internet. I still love the pattern especially the mandrake I just hope they can bring the clothing back into something that fits.

I just re-read Robbys reply above and it said they changed everything for 2015, not 16. 15 was the year I got the Einar that fit so terribly. So it sounds like it's still the same cuts/fit.

i like the fit being 5'8'' large in all coats but a medium in the aquillo. medium in pants accept 32x32 in those that apply. luck of the draw i spoze as it fits me well. im pretty picky and wont wear it if it bothers in ways such as those who states too short in areas etc... if that was the case for me id move on for sure. the valhalla is the best pant cut wise i ever have put on from any maker be it hunt gear, with saying that the rest of there pants are lacking for me other than the cut of the rain gear in current line, ive sent back all other pants ive tried since they vary cut wise from valhallas, some hate some dig them. the new pieces that are coming out in the altitude line are far better be it fabric sheen, features and cut for me as well. only time in the field will tell if its worth the price tag if they ever are released.......as i certainly am not super stoaked on the rain gear thus far function wise. my favorite hood to date is the one on the original aegis jacket. they are getting better though. the dalibor hood is good but could be a bit better. imop the kuiu hoods are far superior when on and it moving with your head in a natural manor.

mcseal2

WKR
After reading a bunch of reviews over the last few days I ordered a Kuiu DCS Guide jacket to replace my stolen Dalibor II. I'll compare the two here once it arrives.

I didn't mention earlier, I love the Kryptek Highlander pattern. It seems to work well in a wide variety of environments. I'm always hanging my coat on a bush, laying it in the grass, or something when out on conditioning hikes and glassing it from different angles and distances to see how it blends then I pick it up on the way back. From the dead grass and brush I predator and whitetail hunt in, to the greening vegetation this spring it has been good. Maybe not the best at any one thing but darn versatile and not bad at anything. I haven't had any of the Kuiu stuff to test yet but I bet neither of their patterns is as versatile. I'll start finding out soon.

Bluto

WKR
I agree. I really like the pattern, and as a career military dude I was happy to see a couple of mil dudes start up a company. I just can't follow the tangent they've gone off on, understanding they will make a heap of cash doing so. Interested to see what you think of the guide jacket vs the Kryptek you've had. I'm either going Kuiu or First Lite.

I had the original guide jacket when it was made in Canada. I hate kudu with a passion now but that guide jacket was the best fitting and my most favorite soft shell of all time, as hard as it is to say.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
After reading a bunch of reviews over the last few days I ordered a Kuiu DCS Guide jacket to replace my stolen Dalibor II. I'll compare the two here once it arrives.

We'd love to hear about this.

Thanks to all for expanding on this topic. Good discussion.

mcseal2

WKR
Got the Kuiu DCS guide jacket in now and have had a few days to wear it. I ordered a size larger than I did in the Kryptek Dalibor II based off the sizing charts so keep that in mind with my review. I have a chest measurement of 50" and that was my primary measurement used, I went with the 3xl Kuiu and the 2xl Dalibor as that was their biggest size. I wanted room to layer a down or primaloft layer under it without compressing it to much.

Here are a few things I have noticed between the two. Since the Kryptek was stolen I don't have both side by side to compare, but I think this is all accurate.

-The DCS is longer than the Dalibor jacket probably by 1.5-2", it's long enough air doesn't get underneath it when moving or sitting.
-The sleeves are definitely longer on the DCS than the Dalibor
-The DCS seems a bit stiffer and louder than the Dalibor but not much. I bet it would be more waterproof as it seems like a little harder shell but haven't had the conditions to test it yet.
-I still like the Kryptek Highlander pattern better than either of Kuiu's patterns. Hanging the jackets and the Kuiu pants in Verde I have on brush and fences and looking at them with the naked eye and through glass from various distances the Kryptek wins as an all around pattern in my opinion.
-The DCS hood offers a lot of protection and is well designed, but it does cut down on peripheral vision a bit more than the Dalibor. Neither are bad, but it is noticeable.
-The DCS has more material keeping the zipper teeth from rubbing against my whiskers and scratching. This seems like a real minor deal, but with a 1/4 zip base layer unzipped and the Dalibor unzipped it bothered me as I moved my head side to side over time.
-Both stop the wind very well. I can't tell much difference between them. I wore both on the UTV checking cows on mornings with a stiff wind and temps under 40 and they stopped the wind even driving down the road at 45mph. It is a pretty decent wind test.

Bottom line is that both are darn good jackets. If you bow hunt or like a shorter jacket the Dalibor seems a bit quieter and I like the camo better. If you want the extra length or having zipper teeth rub against your whiskers irritates you go with the DCS. I'll post more about the Kuiu later after I get more use out of it under more conditions.

Again I want to say I'm not completely comparing apples to apples as I have a 3xl DCS and had a 2xl Dalibor II. It's almost like the DCS is a half size bigger than the Dalibor II as near as I can tell from their size charts.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
mcseal2
thanks for the comparisons- nice! And best wind test I've heard of.
This is the great thing about lots of active Roksliders as we can hear about more gear. The staff can only test so much. Thanks again

mcseal2

WKR
No problem I'm glad it helps. I like to read as many reviews as I can before spending my hunting budget, and try to help others where I can. I spent some of that budget on your mule deer book and am reading it now, it was money well spent!