Boot recommendations....

.....for August caribou hunt in the Brookes Range.
I'm part of a group that's considering a 2018 trip to AK for bou.
We'll be hunting the Brookes Range and looking for recommendations on the best option(s) for boots in that terrain.

Thanks,
Big T

cocky84

WKR
I use Cabelas Meindl. I went with them because i could go in and trt them on. Also i had them for 6 years before the right one got a leak. Cabelas exchanged it for a new pair. Mine are the 400g perfect hunting. My buddy just bought the 200g alaska one. Im sure you cant go wrong with any of the good brands i just like the idea of being able to try them on first. Lowa are very popular on here. Zamberlain , kenetrex. Id get at least a 10"

Ps i tried danner pronghorns first and didn't like em at all. Other ppl really do. Look for boots that dont have any seams. Basically look for the ugliest, plainest looking boot. The more seams or stitching the more places it can leak.

OP
E
I use Cabelas Meindl. I went with them because i could go in and trt them on. Also i had them for 6 years before the right one got a leak. Cabelas exchanged it for a new pair. Mine are the 400g perfect hunting. My buddy just bought the 200g alaska one. Im sure you cant go wrong with any of the good brands i just like the idea of being able to try them on first. Lowa are very popular on here. Zamberlain , kenetrex. Id get at least a 10"

Ps i tried danner pronghorns first and didn't like em at all. Other ppl really do. Look for boots that dont have any seams. Basically look for the ugliest, plainest looking boot. The more seams or stitching the more places it can leak.

Thanks for the response cocky.
Have you hunted the Brookes? Some recon I've got says that 10" may not be tall enough. Thoughts?

Thanks,
T

cocky84

WKR
Never in Brooks but i dont think any leather boot will be tall enough. Im headed to alaska in September and im bringing hip waders. Most of the guides in alaska are recommending them. Im wearing my Meindls and packing my stocking foot breathable hip waders with wading boots.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted the brooks last year. I guess I'm not sure what your question is. Are you float hunting flying in dropoff road system? I'm asking because water crossing could change your needs. I used meindls my bil used crispys and our other partner used rubber lacrosse boots. Walking on the tundra is no joke and you can use max ankle support. I had no problems with the meindl Alaskan used gaiters for crossing water or crocs for wide river braids extended time in standing water always used trekking poles for added balance and support. They did get frozen solid the first day but that was more user error when I took a mis step. I can't stress enough how mind numbing and physically exhausting cross country tundra is. We quickly learned what plants grew on the more solid soil and would walk out of the way to have more solid footing. Good luck on your adventure Alaska is a special place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whodat78

FNG
I have hunted the Brooks multiple times in different areas and have used different brands of boots each time. In the past few seasons I have been using Hanwag Nazcats and have to say they are my favorite boots I have ever used. The were great out of the box and feel better every trip! I think I have worn them on a trip in every major Mtn Range here in AK...On my first Brooks Range hunt I was using La Sportivas and they destroyed my feet. I think you just have to find the boot that works for you. They all make good products, Lowa, Danner, Sportiva, you just have to find that "right fit". I don't know that one boot is going to be better suited for the Brooks really. Are you doing a Haul Road hunt or a fly out? If you need any info let me know, I have done both trips multiple times...I'm sitting in my office looking at the Brooks Range right now actually :)

Muck boots keep my feet dry and I have no issues hiking in them, so that's what I wear when I know I will be on the tundra. If I was actually in the Brooks range, I'd be wearing Hanwags or equal.

OP
E
I hunted the brooks last year. I guess I'm not sure what your question is. Are you float hunting flying in dropoff road system? I'm asking because water crossing could change your needs. I used meindls my bil used crispys and our other partner used rubber lacrosse boots. Walking on the tundra is no joke and you can use max ankle support. I had no problems with the meindl Alaskan used gaiters for crossing water or crocs for wide river braids extended time in standing water always used trekking poles for added balance and support. They did get frozen solid the first day but that was more user error when I took a mis step. I can't stress enough how mind numbing and physically exhausting cross country tundra is. We quickly learned what plants grew on the more solid soil and would walk out of the way to have more solid footing. Good luck on your adventure Alaska is a special place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We're looking at Arrowhead Outfitters and it's a fly in drop off.
I just bought a pair of Scarpas that I'll wear in Idaho elk hunting this fall. So far I really like them and the support they provide my ankles, whether or not they're waterproof enough, is to be determined.

I like the idea of packing breathable waders and boots. The Croc idea is also a good one and I already have a set of Black Diamond trekking poles.

Good stuff gents! Thank you!

You WILL be walking in water if you are hunting caribou on the north slope. So plan for wet feet or actual waterproof boots.

KJH

WKR
Last couple of Caribou trips I wore these: Cabela's Tundra™ Hip Boots - YouTube

Worked great. I was skeptical at first since they look cheap, but they really did hold up well and are great for wet tundra and crossing creeks when needed. Its a boot when you need a boot and a wader when you need a wader.

bmrfish

WKR
On our north slope caribou hunt a couple years back we used cabelas meindls with gators. Wore our rain pants most of the time. That country is more water than land. Worked pretty well. Next time will probably wear the Simms convertible waders and wading guide boots. Wore those on last year's float hunt and they were the bomb. Good tight ankle fit is key. The tundra is every bit as tough to walk in as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hunted the Brooks multiple times in different areas and have used different brands of boots each time. In the past few seasons I have been using Hanwag Nazcats and have to say they are my favorite boots I have ever used. The were great out of the box and feel better every trip! I think I have worn them on a trip in every major Mtn Range here in AK...On my first Brooks Range hunt I was using La Sportivas and they destroyed my feet. I think you just have to find the boot that works for you. They all make good products, Lowa, Danner, Sportiva, you just have to find that "right fit". I don't know that one boot is going to be better suited for the Brooks really. Are you doing a Haul Road hunt or a fly out? If you need any info let me know, I have done both trips multiple times...I'm sitting in my office looking at the Brooks Range right now actually :)
Do you have a recommendation for a boot for the haul road specifically? Im heading up next September and want to buy the gear now so I can get comfortable with it before relying on it.