Baiting this year

JeremiahH

WKR
Thought I'd start a post of this years bait attempt. Hopefully it produces an opportunity before the season is out. Have a good start going at least.

c7bc4bb1c947b1b70c60e65456d1c504.jpg

331b356719540145005826fa723dc8f1.jpg

78a92b91d9ba1043c6860b92a021fff6.jpg

OP
JeremiahH

JeremiahH

WKR
Off topic but What bike trailer is that and do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a B.O.B yak trailer. Not to many single wheel options available but I do like this one. Rated at 70 lbs I believe but I've had 100+ in it now and it handled it fine.

OP
JeremiahH

JeremiahH

WKR
an update on my attempt. I hunted with my Longbow thinking I was confident at my 14 yard bait. I was excited to shoot anything legal as it was the first time using traditional instead of my compound. I hit a small bear in the shoulder blade. spent the next morning finding my arrow and eventually brushed dry blood on leaves and limbs as his fur rubbed against it with nothing left hitting the ground. found a bed where he hung out and healed up a little and no blood after leaving the bed. I looked long and hard and am pretty confident with the evidence that he kept going somewhere or unfortunately will succumb later from infection. I hope not.. My hit barely penetrated and was a solid scapula hit. bent the tip of my broadhead even. I hunted the next night with my compound determined to not let my longbow pride and now lack of shot confidence injure something else. Going back to the drawing board with the stickbow before baiting this spot up again in the fall. Bummer deal.. my first wound loss..

Hunt long enough, it'll happen. Get back on the horse and don't beat yourself up about it. Bears are hardier than you think, it will likely survive. We've shot several bears that either have recovered from poor hits, a few with broadheads still in them. I've found that if you don't find a bear in the first 100 or less yards, you likely won't find it.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
It happens to everyone at some point. I have had issues with a bear soaking up an enormous amount of lead, good blood for a long ways, then it stopped. We never found that griz......

Caused nightmares for me for around a month consistently. It messed me up bad, I'd never wounded an animal before.

OP
JeremiahH

JeremiahH

WKR
For sure I won't be giving up on my Long bow but I will be focusing a lot on my anchor and shot mechanics before taking it afield again. I had two bear tags with me and probably would have filled both within one hour If I would have had my compound. Not big bears but My last couple nights for the season and I really wanted to put my freezer to work. However The point was to hunt traditional and improve as a hunter so I don't regret now knowing something I didn't before. I haven't lost an animal with my compound although have come close. This was an eye opener about how anxiety affected my instinctive sight picture and made me second guess my spot with traditional use that otherwise would have been no big deal with my compound pin. Live, learn and share I suppose.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep after it. You'll get one. We're headed out again this weekend to my stand. Good luck!

BRWNBR

WKR
I started baiting griZly this year, first time for me. Was a learning curve. But the second hunt we dropped a 9' boar at 9pm then his twin brother at 1215am but lost him. Unsure of where the bullet hit but we spent hours searching horrible feeling but it does happen.
image_zpssirg9sxs.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice work man! Keep stomping those bears. I've been seeing a lot of moose calf twins still running around. Pretty rare for my neck of the woods this time of year.

Nice bear Jake! Congrats! North or South of the AK Range?

Here are the two I have photos of from this spring, it's been fun.

attachment.php

attachment.php