Which kuiu camo pattern

Hey guys just curious on what peoples opinions are which kuiu camo is best for Colorado elk hunting? The verde or the vias? Or you think would I be alot happier with Sitka or first lite clothing or some other brand?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

warrior80

WKR
I think either of the Kuiu camo patterns are fine. Same for Sitka and Firstlite. I have a bunch of Verde, Mountain Mimicry, some Optifade OC, Kryptek, Realtree paterns, etc. I don't believe any of them offer a distinct advantage over the other. Just choose what you like. More important to me is the quality and fit of the clothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Whichever one matches your facepaint :D I kid I kid. Honestly, I'd just go with what fits you best, what's in your budget, and what fits your hunting style/climate. I wont' lie, I have a bunch of Kryptek Highlander stuff but I also have some KUIU and Firstlite stuff as well. I also have plenty of stuff in solid colors as well. To me, the camo pattern is the last consideration. I'd rather have an "ugly" mismatched setup that I was comfortable in and that fit the hunting situation.

PTaft

FNG
The elk very literally don't care. Camo patterns are bought for your taste, not because they offer any significantly better concealment from animals. They see movement, not how pretty your clothes are.

tanner68

FNG
The Kuiu Vias is a neat pattern. And I like it because because I think it is interesting. Don't think it matters to your hunting success. Agree with all three posters above. Get the pattern you like, because it will matter little to the game.

OP
W
Alright thanks for the input guys!

PA 5-0

WKR
To the OP: I really like Kuiu Vias for all seasons. Big, bold pattern with sharp edges. Holds it shape at distance. ASAT is my #2, again big, bold, sharp edged pattern.

Question to folks and I'm not busting balls but very curious: For those that say camo DOESN'T matter, are you archery hunting and how many big game animals have you had close enough to touch???

Don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

Camo does make a big difference though. If you were always holding perfectly still it wouldn't matter, but as a bow hunter I have to move to draw etc... If an elk catches a glimpse of movement you will be far more likely to survive the ensuing stare-down with Full camo and face paint. Where I live I would avoid VIAS just because we have so much green. Not that it would matter to the animals as all you need your camo to do is break up your outline, but it would definitely make me more visible to other hunters. I don't like to be spotted when I am in the woods. If I was a rifle hunter I would re-think that :)

IdahoElk

WKR
I wear both and they are equally good but lean towards the verde.What type of terrain are you hunting?

OP
W
Southern Colorado is where we elk hunt... Anywhere from grassy saddels to the Pines to up above timberline in the rocks..

I wear Kuiu Vias, or Firstlite Asat and Max-1. I'm confident in all three. My bull from two years ago stared me down for a long time at 40 yards after he caught movement by me in the open trying to get in position. Then he continued walking his path and I drew and shot him. I had on Max-1 at that time I believe. I don't think it matters as long as it breaks up your outline and gives you confidence.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted pattern is personal choice, stay downwind, don't move and have a pattern that breaks up your outline and you will be good..I prefer Verde myself and like the coloration for the dark areas that I hunt.

14 yds :)

5yds

12 yds

All taken in OTC units and called in...common denominator was stayed down wind, tried to stay somewhat obscured while creating some shot angles, pulled back when they could not see me and made no movement other than the lethal shot when in full or partial view...I pick what feels lucky for the day and have a real mixed bag of gear that I rotate and try to keep clean while sweating like a crazed rutting elk :)

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
My favorite camo pattern is referred to as "ON SALE!"

I try not to wear dark camo on open hillsides and I try not to wear light or snow camo, in the woods.

If you're looking for the best camo pattern out there check out Tusx.
http://www.tusxhunter.com/resources/omniveil
If you're looking to be another poser trying to look cool in the kuiu then the vias is your best option, which by the way is about the silliest pattern I've ever seen.

All I know is my last 2 bulls were a combined 28 yards away. I had 10 cows on either side of me all within 5 yards and some I could reach out and touch. They never saw me.

People I have taken with me cannot believe how concealed I look in the vias.

Whitetails stare right through me if I am in a tree stand.

I'm not saying camo is everything, but I am a believer in the vias.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outline break up is beneficial. animals can't see the fine details and tell the difference between asat,predator,vias,verde,fusion etc. They see contrast and shapes all I mentioned would be equally effective. The material and build quality matter more. None of it matters unless you have played the wind, stayed quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hokkaido

Banned
All I know is my last 2 bulls were a combined 28 yards away. I had 10 cows on either side of me all within 5 yards and some I could reach out and touch. They never saw me.

People I have taken with me cannot believe how concealed I look in the vias.

Whitetails stare right through me if I am in a tree stand.

I'm not saying camo is everything, but I am a believer in the vias.

Good for you! And if you think that camo pattern has some sort of magical powers that make you invisible to elk and whitetails, hey, awesome! Twenty years ago I shot a nice blacktail buck with my old q2 in $5 wrangler camo jeans, $30 boots and some cheapy jacket that I all bought at kmart. Shot a 89 5/8 antelope buck a few years later with that same setup.

I have both types in full sets and the verde is by far the better choice for nearly all situations. Even out in the sage it still works fine.

The problem with kuiu is all the douchebags wearing it. Of course a matter of opinion, it's just like Dale Earnhardt Jr fans, although he's a pretty decent dude, I find it impossible to be a fan of his because of the people that love and champion for him. Just impossible for me to be a part of that crowd. Every time I see a guy with the kiui it makes me chuckle a bit, poor fella, working so hard to be cool and feel accepted..thinks he can accomplish that by simply buying some stylish clothes, thinks he's a better hunter and has magical powers over elk. I got past that stage of life in high school.

People say the stuff is high quality. I haven't found that to be true at all. The pockets unglued themselves on my chinook pants on day two in Idaho 2014. The glue also came loose on the kneepads leaving lots of strands of threads down to the ground to deal with all the time. The guide jacket which looks very nice has also been bad..velcro on sleeves coming off, sleeves ridiculously tight, hood always sticking to the velcro on my hat band, threads loose everywhere, and the main problem...the wind goes right through it! I don't mean it doesn't have windstopper, I mean it just sucks whenever the wind blows, even a little, even in mid september. My vias guide jacket is now my do things around the house jacket, change oil etc. I never wear it in the woods. I'll be selling the rest of it as I didn't wear it all last year even though I packed the whole verde set into camp, over 11 days I never had the urge to put it on. The merino base layer pant is wore out though, only after about 30 miles.

Worst of all regarding kuiu is the way they do business, expecting you to pay and wait for stuff to arrive from China that they haven't even made yet. Anyone who is willing to do that has definitely been hypnotized by the magical powers of the vias! I live/work in Japan and the same jackets from Toray are sold at uniqlo for about $40. Kuiu put vias on it and viola, it's a $200 jacket! Now that is some serious magic right there! Exactly the same garment. Although you might, I can't find myself content wearing the kuiu name.

I have two sets of the Tusx. I have a bunch of sitka now, which I used to despise as well. It was cool when it came out, then every overweight hillbilly thought he would improve his self esteem by wearing it. And it cost too much. A quick turn off for me. But now I have figured out it is good stuff, far superior than kuiu. In fact I only bought the kuiu because it was cheaper than the sitka, which turned out to be a mistake.

So I wear sitka, but still feel a bit ashamed. The Tusx is definitely the best camo I've ever used. The garments are of good quality, maybe not the best, but good enough. But the camo is above and beyond the others. And it's affordable. A had a guy wear it my my camp a couple years ago and just watching how he blended in..I knew it was superior.
Me in Idaho 2015. OTC tag.
View attachment 36886
I cannot say that the tusx has helped me get more game though as I am pretty sneaky nowadays..pretty good at not getting caught moving.

I think in the end that it's mostly just a primadonna game we play, trying your best to look cool in front of your peers. Most any camo nowadays works just fine. It's all about being sneaky and playing the wind, and of course camo magic. lol
But if there is anything hilarious, it's how we spend thousands to look the part, then go live in the woods like homeless people.

I have both types in full sets

The problem with kuiu is all the douchebags wearing it.

Every time I see a guy with the kiui it makes me chuckle a bit, poor fella, working so hard to be cool and feel accepted..thinks he can accomplish that by simply buying some stylish clothes, thinks he's a better hunter and has magical powers over elk

My vias guide jacket is now my do things around the house jacket,

Although you might, I can't find myself content wearing the kuiu name.
Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk