Turkey hunting - backpack instead of vest? No vest?

So I am trying turkey hunting for the first time this spring.

I bought a cabelas vest and loaded it with my calls. Looking forward to using it. Just curious if vests are the norm or if people use backpacks at all?

I could see hunting with my crewcab and a few belt pouches for my calls.

I've converted to the backpack the last three seasons and I see no going back. Shove a seat cushion in a side "water bottle" pocket and take a small cheesecloth game bag to drop the bird in.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I started carrying my emrII and will never go back to the vest. I pack a ground chair and my decoys in there and I am sitting in luxury. It is awesome. Its a pain getting all the blood off it when successful though so I might start putting a contractor bag in there for the bird.

Hunter6

WKR
I use my exo to hunt turkeys in the mountains. Mainly because I don't have a vest, could find some sheds, and good "exercise" for the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
Less than a mile hike=vest
More than a mile=pack

Time out also plays a factor. All day means a pack but a shorter morning or evening hunt means vest

Murdy

WKR
I used a vest for years, switched to a large fanny pack (Badlands Monster) a few years ago, and am pretty happy with the set up, I either wear a jacket with a lot of pockets, or a chest rig, for keeping a few calls and such handy. Going to try the chest rig plus my tree-stand, day pack next weekend.

Jimss

WKR
Depends on your style of hunting. I generally run and gun hunt. In Nebraska I hunt lots of different locations close to my pickup and stay mobile. I often use a small backpack. Here in Colo I hike around 2 miles just to get to birds and away from hunting pressure. I use my Kifaru EMRII so I can haul decoys, gear, strap shotgun to it for the long hike in and out. There is plenty of room for decoys plus a bird (if I'm lucky). I can't imagine carrying a bow/shotgun plus tom, decoys, and gear without a backpack if I'm much over a mile. If you are packing stuff to a blind a vest or small daypack ought to work.